Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:54:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New convert  (Read 2864 times)
Jono

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Beta

« on: September 30, 2020, 07:48:25 PM »

Just an introduction, Recently acquired a lhd Beta Coupe in Grigio Met, with Olive green interior.

Been with me two weeks, two breakdowns later, we're inseparable... It definitely has character.

Am determined it'll be a great car, correction, it already is. Just requires regular driving, some judicious fault finding, and some undoing of things 'done'...

If I can work out how to include pictures, I will put some up next time.

Jono

George-S

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 09:14:50 PM »

Welcome Smiley

Also recommend joining the Facebook groups!

Please post some photos when you get time.

George
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 09:59:29 PM »

Welcome! It's good to get to know your car early on! You'll be glad to know tales of mechanical woe on regularly driven cars aren't too common.

What engine and what year?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:08:58 PM »

If I can work out how to include pictures, I will put some up next time.

Welcome, green interior sounds like an early car?

Photos are always a gotcha for new folk....

Just below the text entry box is an ‘Additional Options’ which you click on and then select the file/photo to add. Remember each post can have a number of 20 photos, but the total limit is 1.5mb.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 07:31:16 AM »

Is it the car that was for sale in C&C for a long time? l had a lot of fuelling issues when I bought my long underused car. Check the carb section of this forum.
Jono

Beta

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »

My Beta is a lhd, 1977 Coupe. It had spent the bulk of it's, easy life, in Florence. Yes, it is the car that Nigel Knight had up for sale for some time, advertised on the C&C website. Am getting more confident with it now. The drive home was abruptly cut short. descending a hill at some speed, dropping down a gear the engine cut. Bump started, twice this happened, until I decided to be relayed the final 50 miles. Back home the engine lost power suddenly, put picked up. Negative battery terminal very sloppy, some scorched HT leads, and a spark plug that wasn't fully home in the head. One of the bonnet catches had frozen, so access to these issues only happened once I was home. Getting there, and enjoying the car, just sticking to local short runs at the moment. Plan to take it up to Adam Atfield, who is relatively local to me. I am so impressed by the ride and feel, the interior is really lovely, but will eventually need refreshing. It is all pretty original.
Nigel

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »

That sounds like a lovely car Jono!

As others have said, some pics please.
If it's of any value....I send the pics to myself to download to the pc, after i've been given the option on my Samsung to reduce to 10%.
Works every time for me. [i'm not familiar with the editing stuff on my laptop!]

Welcome!

Nige

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 06:51:32 PM »

Hi Jono

The stopping may be due to crud in the petrol tank which is a common problem.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonTB

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »

Good choice Jono,
I have been using my coupe pretty much as a daily for the last 22 yrs, now@ 196 thou miles and goes better than ever, like Neil said carp in the tank/lines/not liking ethanol based fuel etc can cause maladies , I fit new fuel filters about twice a year, flushed my tank (in 2003!) only use super BP unleaded if possible, blow the jets out occasionally and religiously set the carb up with a good rebuild kit and Haynes manual every ten years or so +/-

Also obviously fairly fastidious about the ignition side but that is all common sense when compared to modern rubbish, whack in some good 10/60 full synth and like Alleyne Boddy said, when warmed up drive them with 'Brio'... they like it! Smiley
Jono

Beta

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »

Big thank you to all who have welcomed me, and instantly given me assurances and guidance. I am looking forward to years of Beta ownership, I'm well aware it won't all be trouble free, the highs and lows are all part of the 'journey'... On that note, must get back to resurrecting a troublesome rear light unit. Brake lights work on Mondays and Wednesdays, indicators seem highly functional on Thursdays and Tuesdays.... Apologies, continued lack of photographic evidence of this 2000 Coupe. My world is rather analogue, have not fully embraced the digital. I do have a camera. Be patient...
WestonTB

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »

Oh yes, forgot to mention the really obvious, DINITROL! & plenty of it , ML thin stuff for box sections, 3125 is thicker and can be used on box sections and open surfaces although I prefer Hammerite in spray or hammered black as you can keep an eye on condition whereas 3125 or other compounds on open surfaces can 'mask' rust... which never sleeps!

ML is invaluable for the closed box sections  , Bilt Hamber do some clever stuff too and I use their anti rust car wash, it's only £5,0000.0000000000.1 per bottle +/-
but it does seem to work... so far.

Only true beauty doth have decay.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: