Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:15:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Location of thermostat  (Read 2277 times)
JohnFol

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 18, 2020, 10:12:31 AM »

Morning all, I've been fixing a gear linkage issue and traced a water leak to the thermostat pipe work. The reason for mentioning gear linkage is it's fouling on the back of the thermostat housing so a good opportunity to fix both issues.

I'm trying to keep things original and struggling to believe this is "by design". I suspect the back pipe is fitted further back than it needs to be so a little too short. I can lengthen it but then I spotted a few other images within this thread http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4074.0 that show pipes curved around the gear linkage, or straight pipes where the thermostat is relocated.

So perhaps the question is, is the correct location for the thermostat further forward towards the radiator fan?

* 20200616_110513 . comp.jpg (151.66 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 351 times.)

* 20200616_110549.comp.jpg (183.38 KB, 1632x1224 - viewed 366 times.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:14:07 AM by JohnFol » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »

That does not look like an original thermostat, but maybe on later cars they changed? This may be why it is sitting so close to the gear linkage?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »

Hi John

The solution will be longer hoses. Specifically the straight hose and the 90 degree hose. There are countless potential suppliers. I would use Car builder solutions if they have the sizes in black silicon and get new stainless clips to go with the 2 new hoses because the existing clips are likely to be corroded or semi seized. Coolant drain down is covered in the Haynes manual. Maybe do a system and radiator clean/ flush to reduce the chance of issues later.

NB Test the thermostat when you have it removed. Beta Thermostats vary hugely in price. You can convert to a Gates TH15587 87 degree from a Lada but get the stat first then the pipes.

Enjoy 
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »

Hi John

The solution will be longer hoses. Specifically the straight hose and the 90 degree hose. There are countless potential suppliers. I would use Car builder solutions if they have the sizes in black silicon and get new stainless clips to go with the 2 new hoses because the existing clips are likely to be corroded or semi seized. Coolant drain down is covered in the Haynes manual. Maybe do a system and radiator clean/ flush to reduce the chance of issues later.

NB Test the thermostat when you have it removed. Beta Thermostats vary hugely in price. You can convert to a Gates TH15587 87 degree from a Lada but get the stat first then the pipes.

Enjoy 

While on this topic I'm planning to drain / flush and replace the Coolant on my 84 injected HPE, I'd like a good handbook to assist carrying out this as well as other tasks. Does anyone know if there's a workshop manual made for later models ? or is Haynes' workshop manual 1973-1980 as good or as close as you get ?       

Thank you, and please excuse the slight diversion off the original topic.

A.

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

The Haynes Manual is good enough for
have 2 bowls
set the heater on hot
undo the drain at the back of the block
undo the drain at the base of the radiator or remove the lower hose.
Remove radiator and flush through with a hose from top to bottom until it runs clear.
Remove thermostat and test in a pan of water with a Jam thermometer for open and close at the right temps   
if the header tank is filthy remove it and clean it. NB if there is oil scum be aware you may have a blown head gasket.
Put it back together and run with flushing agent to the instructions.
When done fill with fresh antifreeze and water to at least a 30% concentration.
I missed out the swearing and cups of tea, but that should do.
Eric 
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »

Hi John

Enjoy 

While on this topic I'm planning to drain / flush and replace the Coolant on my 84 injected HPE, I'd like a good handbook to assist carrying out this as well as other tasks. Does anyone know if there's a workshop manual made for later models ? or is Haynes' workshop manual 1973-1980 as good or as close as you get ?       

Thank you, and please excuse the slight diversion off the original topic.

A.

The Haynes is ok for the basics, it doesn't cover all the later variations so don't rely on it too much but most things stayed very similar over the years. There is a French language one that covers later cars but to be honest the official publications are the most useful, if you need any technical info you are welcome to message me as I have most of the later books (not all in English but even I can get the gist) and can photograph anything you need.
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 03:08:24 PM »

Thank you Eric and Rossocorsa that's a great help.

That gives me enough information to clean out and replace the Coolant. I will get hold of a Haynes Workshop Manual as a matter of course.
( The Jam thermometer is a useful tip Smiley ..In anycase, I'll give it a go, Your 'Oil in the Header' comment was of slight concern however as I found some fine scaly deposits
sitting on the surface of the liquid on inspecting the contents of the Header receptacle. ( see below ) hopefully it's some other kind of residue. ( fingers crossed )

Rossocorsa thank you for your offer to help out with details for later models, it's mainly the Digiplex, digital advance ignition system that I'd like to get to know better because I understand
that they sometimes can be troublesome.

Thanks again, Andrew

* header.jpg (108.25 KB, 376x709 - viewed 323 times.)

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: