Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000 IE 82, Side lights dim in time with flashers  (Read 1465 times)
markholli

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 12, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »

Firstly thanks to the forum. The forum topics helped a lot in sorting out this MOT failure issue. Below may be helpful to others in the future and I have a couple of requests for help at the end. Look forward to comments on my first post!

1. I firstly ordered and replaced the badly corroded BA15s holders in the sidelight fittings and remade the earths on both front sides. I really thought this was the smoking gun but it didn't solve my problem!
2. I checked all the other earths I could find around the engine bay and boot. All pretty good but were better after I had finished.
3. Then into the dashboard to check earths as this was mentioned as an issue at some point, All good here except I found that a mouse had eaten the oil level rubber tube, fixed this but still no oil level measurement, possibly blocked pipe.
4. So I moved to check the power supply side. Checked the alternator which was putting out less than 20amps. The ammeter has been going into the red when anything more than one thing was turned on for a while. Got the alternator serviced with new regulator Power Components in Westbourne Hampshire. Great service. Now I had a better looking ammeter under load but still the same sidelight issue.
5.  Then took the fuse box apart cleaned and inspected to find that there had been an overload and melting on connection 12 of multiplug 48 which feeds the heated window. There is also something else connected that I haven't fathomed out yet. I've left this for now.  Found a mouse seed hoard amongst the spark plugs!
6. Investigated the light switch stalk and this was all in good shape. But a previous repair had rerouted the 2.5mm red power feed to a spare multiplug 12V supply, unfortunately this is a 1mm wire feeding the 2.5mm. I discovered the ignition switch was not giving power to the blue and black lighting circuit feed and must have been the cause of the rerouting. I put a cable directly from battery to the switch stalk 2.5mm red power wire to test and hey presto the sidelights no longer dim when the flashers operate!

So it looks like I had an issue on the supply having too much resistance under load. Does this sound like a thing? The solution looks like I need to get a new ignition switch and reconnect the light switch stalk as originally designed.

I still have to
source a working ignition switch and tackle the replacement. The forum looks like it has come up trumps on this see ignition switch replacement guide. Has anybody got a good working ignition switch they want to sell? I could take a punt on eBay but would prefer to use the forum.
Make a better repair to the melted fuse box multiplug. Anyone seen this issue before and what may have caused it?
Get modern led lights and lenses. Any advice?
Sort the oil level gauge. Does the pipe get blocked, does the dipstick have a plastic end?
Find working sun roof sliders. Anyone want to sell me some?
Replace the fuel hoses. Where can I get these?
I also want to fit new lower springs and replace all the bushes. Any recommendations?

But all in all I'm actually fairly chuffed that I think I have a fix for the sidelights and can now get the Lancia back on the road.

Help/advice on the other issues welcome
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »

Just a couple of answers;

Ignition switch; give Mark at Betaboyz a call. He has lots of stuff that's not on the web.

Oil Level gauge; most likely the diaphragm within the gauge has failed. They are quite delicate and I broke one when replacing the gauge above it.
markholli

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »

Thanks I will give Mark another call and add the diaphragm  to the list.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »

Thanks I will give Mark another call and add the diaphragm  to the list.

If it is the diaphragm you will need a new gauge.
betaveloce

Belgium Belgium

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 08:32:15 AM »

Sort the oil level gauge. Does the pipe get blocked, does the dipstick have a plastic end?

Sorry for maybe pointing the obvious, but just to be sure, you do know that this gauge only works with the engine off, don't you?  Wink

Beta Coupé 1.8 '74
Beta Spider 1.6 '80
Beta HPE 2.0 i.e. '82
Delta Integrale 8V '88
Ypsilon 1.4 16V '09
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: