Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:55:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Injected VX Beta Spyder  (Read 29929 times)
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »

Fun with Plywood Door Backings. This is a lot more complicated than it should be thanks to the wobbly patterns and custom metal work!
[/img]

* New Plywood Door Card.jpg (533.93 KB, 1482x1977 - viewed 513 times.)

* Rear Quarter New Backing Plywood.jpg (627.41 KB, 1887x1416 - viewed 524 times.)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »

Thanks for the rad info - double the original power certainly calls for seriously uprated heat dissipation. I like the liberal application of Dynamat everywhere - should keep unwanted resonances to a minimum. What is the thickness of the mat you're using?

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »

I am using Superlight Dynamat on the doors boot and bonnet and Dynamat extreme on the main body shell. I did use some Fat Mat but found it even more horrible to work with and it is just not as good at the job anyway.

Superlight is thinner and importantly lighter. If I make the boot heavy the springs will no longer work. The Bonnet will have some foam added and the liner made by Mark Wastnidge. I hope I can use my right foot to choose noise when I want it.

Eric   
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »

Some More minor progress!

[/img]

* Custom Integrale Washer Jet Fitting (Large).jpg (337.12 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 468 times.)

* Strut Brace Test Fit (Large).jpg (326.22 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 448 times.)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »

And a couple more incredibly slow bits of progress!
[/img]

* Switched Live Power Distribution (Large).jpg (261.65 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 440 times.)

* Reliable Cabin Earth Points (Large).jpg (444.22 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 433 times.)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 12:19:08 PM »

I am now trying to get the brackets and mounts made that need holes in the shell before it goes back to the body shop for paint fixes and making the rear bumper over the very cold winter months. I definitely under estimated how long this would take and continue to find parts I thought were good to go that need work or replacement to be worth using. Perhaps I would be better not using my glasses!

Enjoy

Eric
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »

Doesn't it always? At least you've got to the putting back together stage!
SPIT TC

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »

You certainly are not short of talent Eric !
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2020, 09:58:26 AM »

Thank you for the compliment. Sadly I frequently find myself running out of talent and have to remind myself I do this for the challenge of learning new skills and making a great car into an amazing car.

Every mistake is an opportunity to learn so I get a lot of opportunities to learn!

I share this stuff so others can take whatever helps them make their car just a little bit better, more fun or simply more reliable.

Eric
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »

Eric,

I've read before that the hubs on PS cars are different. Do you know how they are different?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »

Hi Stuart

The PS hubs have larger conical holes to accommodate the larger PS Track Rod. They are also a physically beefed up casting which is hard to spot until you put them side by side with early no PS. Maybe late generation non PS hubs are the same casting with a smaller hole?

They do have a part number in the casting.

Eric
WestonTB

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »

I think you will be easily surpassing an 'alfaholics' type build, just looks amazing, another bench mark like your Monte!

More power to yer elbows!!!
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2020, 07:09:08 PM »

So a major day in the build I have working brakes! This is with a front right back left and front left back right X pattern split and a twin channel (group n) AP Bias valve. I have copied the Integrale set up with the X split as the Master Cylinder is basically the same. But not used the Integrale twin channel rear bias valve linked to the rear suspension.

The Bias valve is there to dial down the rear brakes in emergency braking as weight shifts forward. By using an adjustable item I can reach from the engine bay I can dial in more or less rear braking to balance out the larger 284 vented front discs and 6 piston calipers. I am using Ferodo DS2500 front Pads and Tarox rears.

It was a huge relief to bleed the brakes and have sensible pedal travel as the design model said I would. Obviously this is without the servo assistance and the travel reduction from pads bedded into discs. Road tests will have to wait for a working engine.

A few pictures. [/img] 

* Twin Bias Valve Front Right Back Left split (Large).jpg (316.66 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 334 times.)

* Twin Bias Valve Front Left Back Right Split (Large).jpg (279.83 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 343 times.)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2020, 07:17:21 PM »

A bit of bracket fabrication lets me fit the Fuel pressure regulator and hold the radiator in place tipped forward under the front cross member. I have now made the fuse box mounting brackets and the radiator box side panels but took no photos. Next it is the new Fuel hard lines through the cabin and the car goes back to the body shop whilst I muck about with fitting the new hood to the frame lining the Targa roofs and making number plate mounts in a warm workshop. I hate working on cars in winter temperatures!

[/img]   

* Fuel Injection Pressure Regulator Mounting (Large).jpg (297.01 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 377 times.)

* Radiator Top Fixing Plate (Large).jpg (368.65 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 348 times.)
mtulloch

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2020, 09:11:14 PM »

I've a couple of questions;

Where did you get the radiator & fan?
Where did you source the plastic captive nuts?

How much were those parts?

Thanks.
Nigel

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »

Really great work Eric on what is unique.

Quite different to others who build concours examples, and equally dissimilar
to projects like mine.

We are all in it for the passion of Betas, but by so many, sometimes conflicting, methods.
I'm occasionally embarrassed by what I do to mine, but reality is, "it's mine, and i'll do
what I want!"

Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2020, 10:53:07 AM »

Hi Nigel

Fancy engineering wastes valuable driving time so doing what works cheaply and let's you use your Beta reliably is a smart move. I know what let down my previous high performance Beta Spider and it was a very good car sold to Terry Wood in de-tuned form, but still more powerful than standard.

I know I will have more than double factory power so have tried to build in the right suspension, brakes and cooling. Other mods are for reliability, comfort or just removing things that annoyed me (properly mounted rear speakers).

Enjoy driving your car. I can only dream for now!

Eric   
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »

The Fans front and rear come from Car Builder Solutions as I found their performance excellent on the Montecarlo with a low profile design. There is a Setrab 235 x 19 oil cooler mounted to the front of the radiator and I use 3 large studs on the base of the radiator in holes with rubber grommets in the lower cross member. I have 5mm Rivnuts fitted to the radiator top rail to mount the fixing plate which I designed in cereal box before making the alloy version.

I am using twin fans via one of the 2 new relay and fuse boxes because I want instant control of temperature spikes. Probably overkill for most people, but experience borrowed from the Monte along with running the water pump faster by using the Monte water pump pulley and the Beta Crank pulley.

I supplied a tatty VX radiator, sketched dimensioned design, fans and oil cooler to Concept Racing near Ross on Wye before discussing the power change and core options. The receipt is buried but somewhere in the region of £350. I might have found a cheaper supplier but I am happy with the quality of this critical part. I spent months looking at Radiators from other cars, but was frustrated by their poor fit.

The Nylon blocks used all over the car have some cross over to parts used by Land Rover. But mine came from Poland following a tip from Fred's documented restoration on this forum.      https://auto-spinka.pl/

I found I could source new screw in Nylon Blocks for the whole car and the Montecarlo a god send for a car that was completely stripped. I also sourced brake line clips and some other random clips from Bresco.   

Enjoy

Eric
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »

Fuel Hard Lines prove that 7.9mm 5/16 is not the same as 8.00mm when it comes to the fittings for the hardline. My 5/16 compression to A/N -06 fittings (those Goodrich type screw together fittings) did not want to go on my very nice 8.00 aluminum black coated hard line.
After a healthy dose of swearing and refusing to pay motorsport Demon Thieves prices for 8.00mm Krontec fittings I bought a 7 meter plus  coil of 5/16 copper nickel for less than 2 of the 4 needed fittings.

I was dreading this job and pipe that was harder to bend added to the fun. At least at over 120 bar tested rating I should be safe with the 7Bar max with Fuel Injection. I used Compression fittings because 37 degree single flares tube nuts and sleeves would be tricky to do in the space for me. I am using fitting from Torques on ebay which are at least as well made as Goodrich, Earls, Fraggola etc BUT way cheaper. I also use push on hose ends which are rated to 400PSI so I can build custom plumbing and simply unbolt it for servicing.

The Pipe clips came from Bresco.

[/img]

* Fuel Hardlines Front Bulkhead (Large).jpg (543.94 KB, 1080x1440 - viewed 314 times.)

* Fuel Hardlines into Boot (Large).jpg (506.24 KB, 1080x1440 - viewed 293 times.)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »

NB the single brake pedal pedal box is a lash up to test the brakes and fit a steering column until I have the car back for the final build.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: