Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:17:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference of a VX engine  (Read 1184 times)
Simongore

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 07, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »

Hi folks
Hoping you. Guys can help me
I’ve just bought a series 2 spyder which. I’m going to restore as it’s a low mileage car with low owners.
However I bought a Hpe VX which was rotten but I was lead to believe had a good condition engine .
So I wanted to transfer the engine into the restored spyder.
However I sent a letter to the previous owner of the HPE who has come back and said that a camshaft died on the engine.
So another dodgy buy from. eBay.
So now I’m thinking I may just put the supercharger straight onto the spyder engine as it only has50k miles on it.
My question is then, what is the difference between the two engines.
Anybody know,
I know the gearbox is slightly differently geared.
Thanks in advance
Simon

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »

Hi

Hopefully Eric will be along to give you chapter and verse, but (assuming you are starting with a standard 2l) I would think the main differences would be compression ratio and camshaft timings.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »

Roughly speaking

Low compression pistons, larger inlet valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, bigger oil pump, addition of oil cooler, different cam lift and timing, camshaft driven distributor, uprated head gasket, block without facility for manual fuel pump, larger water pump impeller, modified top water rail that's roughly it also uprated piston rings and bearings but neither of these seem critical. There's probably other things I've forgotten.
Using any recently unused/unknown Beta engine without a strip down and inspection isn't really advisable, parts are difficult and ticking timebomb type damage may result. As a rule of thumb (not based on hard fact just my personal opinion) most engines exceeding maybe 80k miles will have significant wear to the main and big end bearings that whilst not terminal is prudent to address as 2 litre cranks are getting very difficult to find in usable condition now and are impossible or at least very difficult to regrind successfully.

Alan
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:36:28 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 06:41:51 PM »

Hi Simon

What Alan said is pretty much right. I think I would move the Camshafts over from the 2000 and fit a new DCNF 40 expecting to re-jet it. This is a performance modification that can work well particularly if you move the cam timing for less lift at TDC.

Of course it depends on the state of the VX unit. If it has big mileage a compression test before you get to far is essential. Expect the cylinder with the worn cam to be low due to limited valve lift.

Enjoy

Eric   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: