Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member with a spyder  (Read 2633 times)
Simongore

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 10, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »

Hello to all
Been a while since I’ve been on this site.
Sold all my lancia’s about 10 years ago
I’ve had beta coupes, spyder, volumex and a evo 2 intergrale.
Anyway now wanting back into the Lancia world so have bought a series 2 beta spyder and was planning to do a full restoration on it.
However I have also just bought a volumex hpe which sounds like a bit of a basket case.
What I was planning to do is make a nice spyder volumex
Has anyone everyone this and do we know what I might be up against
Thanks in advance
Simon

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »

Hi Simon

I am doing it now. One big decision will be whether you move the power steering over. If so you will need to change the bulkhead and keep the VX Pedal box Rack and hubs plus the pump and it's reservoirs. You would probably use the VX wiring loom as well with shortened link looms to the rear and interior light modifications.

You will of course be completely stripping 2 cars to re-build 1 carefully. This is not a weekend's work and needs carefully storage and a lot of space.

Enjoy

PS be sure the VX unit is sound before you get too far in

Simongore

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »

Hi there
Sorry I didnt catch your name.
Very interested in how your are getting on with yours
Am I correct in saying your putting a vx engine and running gear into a spyder.
I think it will make a very special convertible.
I’m also planning on putting the interior across too with the dash and front end.
Not so sure about the back bumper.
I think I will put the power steering in so the better half will be able to use the car.
When you say check the vx unit are you talking about the engine or the supercharger.
I plan to rebuild the engine anyway but because it’s been sitting for 13 years I don’t want to try starting until the cambelt is done.
Any other points would be much appreciated.

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
spydervx

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:15 PM »

Hi Simon,
I have done it with a considerable amount of help from others.
I fully stripped and reassembled the spyder myself but paid for welding, engine specification, fabrication and painting.  It took me a couple of years and a not inconsiderable amount of cash but the spyder (Luccia) will never leave my family.

The forum is an invaluable source of knowledge and the parts store is a godsend.

My spyder's bodywork was done by Chris at Betacar.  Unfortunately the company is no more but Chris was very skilled and knowledgable.  He advised to take the opportunity offered by the volumex engine and convert to power steering.  This is a real improvement and I do not regret it.

My engine was checked, reworked and specified by the the excellent Guy Croft with Guy's usual upgrades including baffled sump (invaluable) and 45DCOE.
This carburation meant I could keep the original 1600 bonnet line that personally I find purer than the 2.0 ltr or Vx bonnets.  It did mean losing the original radiator and fabrication of a less wide but deeper unit that has helped significantly with the cooling.

I had a stainless exhaust produced by PD Gough of Nottingham.  Again a really worthwhile upgrade but...my one real mistake was in forgetting Guy's advice to use a larger bore 4 into 1 system rather than the standard 4 in 2 in 1 arrangement.  This has lead to back pressure in the system that can lead to slight bogging down on rapid acceleration and I will have to bite the bullet and change the exhaust at some point.

I would definitely second the advice to reuse the VX electrics, particularly regarding the sensors and operation of the VX scavenger pump.
I wanted the spyder to be a fast GT and initially, before finishing the car, was concerned about the braking so bought grooved discs but never got around to fitting them as I found upgrading the flexible brake lines to stainless braided greatly improved feel and I have never found the brakes to be wanting.

As I think Eric has covered elsewhere, if you keep the VX gearbox it is more relaxed on motorways whilst a 2.0 box's final drive will give more spirited acceleration.  I think after much debate and endless calculations I fitted the 2.0 box and again never regretted it.

Guy's mastery of the engine has freed the unit a lot and, while not as seemingly free revving as the original 1600 engine, it is a marked improvement of the original VX unit.

The Spyder is in her element with the hood down, targa off, accelerating hard as the rasp of the exhaust and howl of supercharge rise in unison.  Well worth every hour and pound!

Good luck!
Gerry

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
Simongore

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 06:50:40 PM »

Hi there Gerry

Sounds like a mission but well worth it
Thanks for the pointers well noted.
Would like to see some pics.
Did you keep the car looking original or did you replicate the vx
Thx Simon

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
spydervx

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:23 PM »

Hi Simon
It was!
I have put some pictures of the spyder when first finished in the members gallery under spydervx.
I am trying to find some of the restoration photos that I know I have... somewhere!  Will upload when I get them.
I tried to finish her as she was when I first bought her.  I know the grill is not correct but essentially, on the outside and within the cabin interior it is a 1977 1600 spyder.
I have now added the black sill trim, still need to sort the rear hood and fabricate new radiator shroud and sort the scavenger pump properly ...it never ends!
Post or PM any queries when you have them and I will try and recall what we did.
good luck
Gerry

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
Simongore

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »

Hi Gerry
Car looks stunning
Hope mine looks as good as yours
I’m thinking as I have a donor car ie the vx hpe and my spyder is a series 2 that I’m going to make it as a spyder vx
With the unique bumpers, grill and interior.
Anyway that’s a LONG way away.
Going to pick the hpe up next week so will have a better idea then.
Thx
Simon

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »

Hi Simon

Be aware the Spyder Rear is wider and fitting wrap around bumpers that look good is an art form involving cutting and welding at least 2 HPE bumpers. I am getting it done for mine and it is not easy.

Enjoy

Eric 
Simongore

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 08:08:47 AM »

Hi Eric
I would be very interested to see some pics on that if possible sometime
Simonn

1980 beta spyder
1985 beta coupe vx
1982 beta hpe vx
1991 lotus M100
1994 Williams Clio One
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »

Hi Simon

Look for pictures of Mark Milne's Bronze Spyder. He has done it nicely.

Eric

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: