Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:16:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviving Volumex spoiler  (Read 2123 times)
adamrj

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 30, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »

I've just taken the spoiler off my HPE VX (squirted WD40 on all the nuts, left for a month, worked like a charm!) and was wondering what the best way forward is with it.

The rubber is in pretty good shape and doesn't seem to have gone porous, but it doesn't entirely cover the metal reinforcement on the mounted surface, so the metal has gone quite rusty. Is the best thing to rustproof it as much as possible, then seal it with mastic or similar, or is there a better approach? I'm loath to remove the metal as I'm guessing it will never go back together in quite as good a shape as it is now.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
Nigel

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »

Adam,
It sounds like it's shrunk a bit in it's length?
They do tend to shrink and warp with age.
Someone somewhere was making repo units but can't recall who or where I read it.
I agree. I wouldn't remove the metal parts,just de-rust as much as possible,and paint.
Mastic can look really awful, but if you're confident of a planned outcome,I can recommend
a produst called CT1. It's in a standard tube and sets to a hard-rubbery state, but it is quite shiny.

Good luck!
Nige

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:52:23 PM »

I've done a coupé spoiler it did shrink a bit when the metal is removed you just need to use your initiative to stretch the spoiler whilst fixing another piece of metal in. It's not possible to do a perfect job but the problem is that you can't leave the rusting metal inside as it expands a bit and eventually splits the rubber Embarrassed
mtulloch

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »

I've just taken the spoiler off my HPE VX (squirted WD40 on all the nuts, left for a month, worked like a charm!) and was wondering what the best way forward is with it.

The rubber is in pretty good shape and doesn't seem to have gone porous, but it doesn't entirely cover the metal reinforcement on the mounted surface, so the metal has gone quite rusty. Is the best thing to rustproof it as much as possible, then seal it with mastic or similar, or is there a better approach? I'm loath to remove the metal as I'm guessing it will never go back together in quite as good a shape as it is now.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

How did you get on with this? I refurbished my spoiler earlier this year.

I refurbished mine earlier this year & can confirm that the rubber does shrink. I reduced the length of the metal insert by around 10mm to assist in re-fitting & it looks ok. At least there won't be any rusty powder falling out now as it was before.

* SAM_4802.JPG (285.35 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 203 times.)

* SAM_4801.JPG (282.38 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 215 times.)

* SAM_4838.JPG (279.11 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 216 times.)

* SAM_4845.JPG (285.62 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 214 times.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:40:08 AM by mtulloch » Logged
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »

Mastic can look really awful, but if you're confident of a planned outcome,I can recommend
a produst called CT1. It's in a standard tube and sets to a hard-rubbery state, but it is quite shiny.

Good luck!
Nige

I can vouch for CT1, it really is tenacious stuff. If you're looking for a device to smooth mastic and make it look as good as it can, I'd recommend the Cramer Fugi system. With a bit of practice you can get perfect results.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-Grouting-Silicone-Profiling-Applicator/dp/B07H8K5W8D

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: