Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:27:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta coupe MOT fail - rear shock "worn bush"  (Read 7577 times)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Graham Stewart

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2020, 10:27:59 PM »

There are also DoT (Dept of Transport) MoT testing stations available in certain locations; we have one in Sheffield. All they do is test vehicles, and will not fix MoT fails. They can act as a useful verification of commercial MoT testing stations.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Mat Grant

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 01:56:13 PM »

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies - Yes a under normal circumstances I'd have been back the next day/week with the car and asked for a full explanation. But as I was in the middle of the house extension build, the car was kept quite a distance away, and the MOT had already expired, so I'd either have to trailer it or book an MOT to be able to take it back there.

So it was really frustrating - I had to leave it until my garage was finished, get it trailered by a mate back to my house. Then give it a bit of a once over, and as it had been so long I booked it in for another MOT, looked at the suspension both sides and couldn't see any difference between the left side and the right side. I was half expecting the fail but being ready for a detailed answer on exactly what it was. So I hung round while the MOT was being done.

It was just annoying as had it passed the MOT I would have been able to run it in good weather, whilst it was being stored away from my house, and get it fully warmed up etc and give it a bit of use, as it was it had to stay on my girlfriends drive for about a year and I would just run it up to temp every month or so.

Just glad it's back on the road!!

Next job is an engine service and cambelt as that hasn't been changed for a few years. I've also got to look at the carb as it is not running brilliantly.

Mat.

Mat Grant

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »

Hi all,

Small update, my Beta coupe went through the MOT this year with no problems, just advisories on the front tyres having a bit of perishing and an exhaust blow. As last year no reference to worn suspension bush in the top mount from two MOTs ago.

The exhaust leak is in the centre of the car - anyone have any suggestions on where I can go to either get a pipe or get one made?

Thanks, Mat.

PS - how do I add pics on here?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »

Hi Mat

Just below the text entry box there is an ‘Additional Options’ which of you open it out allows uploading of photos.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 06:36:14 PM »

Hi Mat

Just below the text entry box there is an ‘Additional Options’ which of you open it out allows uploading of photos.

Peter

I never knew that, I've struggled every since photobucket went wonky, I'll try out next time!
Mat Grant

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »

Thanks - just out of interest, here is a photo of my car just before the MOT. It is a 200ie model but someone has previously restored it, and taken off the black chrome and large bumpers, and fitted the chrome and smaller bumpers from the earlier model. Before the restoration the original colour was gun metal grey. There is a large photo restoration file with it. And at a later point someone has taken off the injection and fitted a weber carb and manifold. There are a few receipts in the file for "trying to fix rough running", so I'm presuming that's what led the same or different previous owner to take the injection system off and put a carb on.

Mat.

* Lancia 2021 08 01.jpg (436.78 KB, 1897x846 - viewed 429 times.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:33:27 AM by mat grant » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2021, 02:33:25 PM »

Thanks - just out of interest, here is a photo of my car just before the MOT. It is a 200ie model but someone has previously restored it, and taken off the black chrome and large bumpers, and fitted the chrome and smaller bumpers from the earlier model. Before the restoration the original colour was gun metal grey. There is a large photo restoration file with it. And at a later point someone has taken off the injection and fitted a weber carb and manifold. There are a few receipts in the file for "trying to fix rough running", so I'm presuming that's what led the same or different previous owner to take the injection system off and put a carb on.

Mat.

That's a bit strange as in the UK to be best of my knowledge fuel injection cars were only imported in solid red or black. Looking at that photo it looks really like an earlier car TBH all details  correct very very odd.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:44:59 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »

There are a few receipts in the file for "trying to fix rough running", so I'm presuming that's what led the same or different previous owner to take the injection system off and put a carb on.

This reminded me of Darren’s car which Darren (different one, just to confuse) updated the FI to a modern setup with great results. No idea who it is with now as I know Darren sold it.

See

https://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3007.0

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Mat Grant

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »

Well it could have been black... I just had another look at the photos, the only shots are with it in prep for spray - maybe it was black but very dusty   Grin

They even relocated the fuel filler and fitted the older style fuel filler cover. Whoever  did the work went to a lot of trouble, they must have REALLY wanted it to look like an early one.

Mat.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2021, 10:15:47 PM »

What about the details in the cabin? Steering wheel, switch illumination, seats etc?
Mat Grant

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2021, 10:41:39 AM »

The interior is the standard S2 facelift from the 2000ie, they've left the interior alone so it still has the later dash and the electric windows etc
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:56:18 PM by mat grant » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »

I'm just surprised that they took the injection off, they drive really nicely, but then again way back a lot of more mature enthusiasts thought of injection as very bad wizardry when it is actually probably simpler than carbs. It a nice looking car anyway they even filled in the extra holes in the front wings.
Mat Grant

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 05:57:22 PM »

Yes I wish it still had the injection. I've got no way of knowing exactly why it was taken off, but there are a couple of receipts in the history saying stuff like "labour for investigating rough running" and I guess someone just gave up and fitted a carb.

The change to carb was later than the colour change and restoration, as the photos of it complete show the injection system and airbox still in place.

I would like to refit the injection system but there is virtually no chance of finding the parts. If anyone has the full set of injection hardware at a sensible price I'd be really interested.

Mat.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: