Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:13:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 3463 times)
Robert

Netherlands Netherlands

« on: April 23, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »

Hi, I went out for a yesterday and the following happend which I didn't expect to be related.
My temperture gauge was giving no reading at all. However I was not worried because the car was cooling fine before, even too cool.
However after an hour drive when I parked the car, the car overheated. I could hear the coolant in the reservoir but the fan was not on.

Is there a relation between the temperture gauge not working and the fan not going on?
I replaced the fan sensor 6 months ago and since it was working fine.
Also checked if any fuse was blown, but everything looked fine.
I thought it maybe could be the relay that operates the fan, however this wouldn't explain why the temperture gauge was not working.

Best, Robert
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »

They don't sound related. The sensor for the gauge is in the cylinder head on a different circuit.

The fan thermostats are all old stock now and unreliable. I don't like aftermarket kit, but after three thermostats failed on me in three years (luckily two in the 'on' setting) I fitted one of the adjustable ones that takes its reading from the top hose.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:08:52 AM »

Another thought - could there be an air-lock in the cooling system? Although there may be water in the header tank there could be very little in the block, hence no reading from the head sensor? A long shot I know....
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »

Another thought - could there be an air-lock in the cooling system? Although there may be water in the header tank there could be very little in the block, hence no reading from the head sensor? A long shot I know....

That was my thought Neil, well that coolant is low,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: