Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Living with a Trevi  (Read 43953 times)
Thotos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Theo Kyriacou

« on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:34 AM »

Have you written any sort of blog on this car elsewhere?  Seeing the 131mirafiori.com page showing the sill work got me thinking.

No, I am not good at doing that sort of thing. I do things on the car and then forget about them and move onto the next bit...  Roll Eyes

I am getting both very impressed with the Trevi and quite attached to it  Kiss so I thought I'd have a go at boring everyone with my Trevi experience and trials and tribulations.

Some work and repairs on the car have been reported elsewhere on this forum (and some other forums). The latest job (tonight in fact) was changing the exhaust middle section and you can read about that at http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=392.msg1059#msg1059.

One of the things that annoyed me with the car when I got it were the smoked rear lenses, so having managed to get a very good nearside light unit and a brand new offside unit from Chris (ex-Betacar) the rear lenses are now as Lancia intended them to be.

Before:

After:

You should have also noticed that in the "Before" photo the sun visor is at a strange angle and that's because the little clips that hold it in place had lost their shape and hence their holding ability. With a bit of heat and a lot of patience they have been given their original shape so in the "After" photo the sun visor is held in it's correct position.

The front lights were also refurbished by taking several sets of lights apart and selecting the best combinations of bowls and glass and reassembling two headlamps which while not as good as new they are good enough (for now at least).

At least the car no longer has the strange "mascara style" headlamp with black borders on the bowls of the offside headlamp only  Roll Eyes

Another annoying "feature" of the car was the boot lid giving me a headache every time I opened it as the gas struts lost their strength. But I found a company in the Midlands that re-gas the struts back up to full pressure and the boot lid can now stay open!  Cheesy

Before (simulated):

After:

I'll try and keep this thread updated with details of any major or interesting work carried out on the Trevi.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:07:43 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
TreviDash

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »

I think I have a new trevi rear light in the garage if I can find it do you want it? not sure what side it is have to warn that I might have chucked it out as I've largely given up wasting space storing bits n bobs that are not relevant to my own car and that no one ever wants! postage and paypal fee or pick up for free
hutch6610

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:39:12 PM »

A lovely looking car and much underrated - better car than a 131? ..... i personally think so.
Good to see you have got the car back to the way Lancia had intended it look.

Your just up the road from me in Enfield.
thecolonel
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »

Very nice Theo, quite fancy one myself now.

Geoff
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »

I think I have a new trevi rear light in the garage if I can find it do you want it? not sure what side it is have to warn that I might have chucked it out as I've largely given up wasting space storing bits n bobs that are not relevant to my own car and that no one ever wants! postage and paypal fee or pick up for free

I certainly wouldn't say no to a free (or nearly free) Trevi light  Wink  I actually have several nearside light units but only one good offside unit (on the car) and one with a cracked indicator lens which is usable. Please let me know when/if you find it. Thanks.

Theo Kyriacou
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:25 PM »

A lovely looking car and much underrated - better car than a 131? ..... i personally think so.

I am not sure I'd go as far as saying anything like that!  Grin Apples and pears, different kettle of fish and all that spring to mind. The Trevi feels much more sophisticated as well as comfortable and relaxing to drive but when it comes to spirited driving, it is no match on the 131.  Grin

Here's a picture of both, at a garage swap-over, to help some of you make up your own mind  Grin

* 26-04-09_1907s.jpg (218.46 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1511 times.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:51:22 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »

Very nice Theo, quite fancy one myself now.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff  Wink Cheesy  There's a nice one for sale on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rare-classic-lancia-trevi-2litre-twin-cam_W0QQitemZ260453490508QQcmdZViewItem

I thought you'd be commenting on the little bit of red Marvin that can be seen in a couple of those photos  Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:23:08 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
thecolonel
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »

I would normally have mentioned Marvin, or one of his relations but I think it may be better
to keep the dream alive rather than be disapointed by reality.
hutch6610

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

Oh i don't know, as much as i like - and respect - the 131 i think a Beta can give a 131 a run for its money anyday.
Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to compare two "bog" standard cars, how standard is your 131?

Not meant as a criticism but i have had so many people with Peugeot 205 GTI's (and Renault 5 turbos) go on about how great their cars are and when i have looked its had all the suspension mods - Lowered springs, beefier dampers and engine tweaks.
I am sure the "Pug 205" Clarkson drove on that Top Gear item would have had the same things done, no wonder he did not have to brake to go round bends .... he just drove us round the bend instead!

Trevi any-day - as i am biased!  Grin
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »

how standard is your 131?

Not very standard really...  http://131mirafiori.com/smf/index.php?topic=1564.0

I very much like and appreciate the Trevi as I've said but if you insist on comparing it with a Fiat then I think it should be compared to the 132 (or Argenta).

If you want to see (and hear) what my 131 is like then have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odtvIQVergg. The video was made by Jason, the previous Trevi owner so there's a Trevi connection here.  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
rossocorsa
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »

I am not sure I'd go as far as saying anything like that!  Grin Apples and pears, different kettle of fish and all that spring to mind. The Trevi feels much more sophisticated as well as comfortable and relaxing to drive but when it comes to spirited driving, it is no match on the 131.  Grin

Here's a picture of both, at a garage swap-over, to help some of you make up your own mind  Grin

on styling purity 131 wins hands down, on bizzareness Trevi wins every time as it does on underlying engineering quality, on driveability I'm not sure I always  found the modifications they did changing beta to trevi rather spoilt the experience a case of form doesn't follow function shame as it has a great chassis and the excellent power steering that we were robbed of in RHD until the last cars
hutch6610

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:40 AM »

I thought not but i don't blame you -  you have to do something to keep all the boy racers in their place!
Does sound gorgeous though around all those "A" roads.
Is the Accusump really necessary with the baffled/winged sump or is it used mainly for pre oiling for cold starting.

I have a friend with a Lada Riva with Beta/131/124 Abarth hybrid mechanical unit (yes i know, i need shooting for selling the rare items to him)  and its a good old laugh as it sounds like yours, everybody expects to see a 131 and a Lada comes around the corner.
You probably also have about twenty to twenty five break more.
When i drive it people resort to all sorts of underhand driving techniques to keep the Lada Lout in his place.

Its interesting you got the Trevi local.... ish?

The Argenta, now that's also interesting being the 132 replacement, just a boxier re-bodied 132.
Aerodynamic as a brick (or a Lada)
They drive lovely though but the emphasis was more on comfort oh and those slide down clear sun visors, orange or blue depending on what colour the car was, just like the 132! - the suspension was really soft and i will never forget throwing one of these around Hanger lane in the early hours of the morning and having to use all three lanes.
Steering was also worm and roller so its not directly comparable with a Trevi, i would however say a 131 Supermirafiori is a closer comparison.

Anyway if i find the Trevi tail lights - i have both sides - stored in the loft since 1993 and they are yours for next to nothing.
Found the nearside tonight, just got to find the elusive off side tomorrow.

Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »

Is the Accusump really necessary with the baffled/winged sump or is it used mainly for pre oiling for cold starting.

It is certainly not 'necessary' but very useful for pre-oiling. The Trevi starts too easily and quickly sometimes and makes an awful racket for a second or two until it builds up oil pressure. Maybe I should have fitted the smaller oil filter but went for a Champion C102 (same as Fiat 131 and I thought all Fiat twin cams) although I saw the much smaller Champion C107 listed for the Beta twin cams.

Its interesting you got the Trevi local.... ish?

It's more a case of I bought the Trevi because it was local-ish. While I've always liked the Trevi (I like quirky things) I wasn't looking to buy one. My Gamma coupe is away having major restoration work so I was having Lancia withdrawal symptoms and when I saw the Trevi for sale so close I couldn't resist.

Theo Kyriacou
TreviDash

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »

The last set of strut inserts are on eBay now, Theo.  I don't know what your plans are but hey ho

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »

The last set of strut inserts are on eBay now, Theo.  I don't know what your plans are but hey ho

I thought you sold your inserts (at a vey good price for you I thought  Wink ) so I bought a pair of Monroe rear inserts (which I haven't fitted yet). But I am still after a front set so I better check your eBay auctions again...

Theo Kyriacou
hutch6610

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 08:39:58 PM »

I know what you mean about the rattle of bearings on start up - Accusump is a wise precaution now i come to think about it especially as you have a few "extra horses" under the bonnet.
I tend to crank over a carb engine for a few seconds, stop, then engage the choke (two or three pumps on the accelerator) and start, it does the job quite well.
This is something that's impossible on an IE and impractical on your 131 with those 45's.

I don't think it would make any difference what size filter you use, the VX model uses a C107 (Coopers Z501) and many still rattle, Carb Betas use the C102 (Z27a) that you have fitted, have even seen Champion C134 (CoopersZ1011) listed for injection Betas but you can use either. 
I Slick 50'd my engine after running in after a complete recondition just to give it that little extra protection and with a slightly shimmed up oil pump relief valve have not had the dreaded rattle on start up for ten years now, but i only do about 3000 - 6000 miles a year so its more like five years "time" wise.
rossocorsa
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 12:44:33 PM »

I certainly wouldn't say no to a free (or nearly free) Trevi light  Wink  I actually have several nearside light units but only one good offside unit (on the car) and one with a cracked indicator lens which is usable. Please let me know when/if you find it. Thanks.
found it it seems to be siem near side (unfortunately) I am not 100% that it is trevi though,it looks like trevi but there are no black shrouds around the number palte lamp section are the balck bits either side of your number plate separate parts?
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

are the balck bits either side of your number plate separate parts?

Yes they are. They screw onto the light unit though so if the number plate lights are missing you'll have the black backing plate with the two mounting screw holes on the unit. Maybe you have a Y10 light unit? They look very similar to the Trevi lights when off the car. If you can post a photo I'll be able to tell you if the light is for a Trevi or not; l am now an expert on Trevi lights!  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
rossocorsa
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:07 PM »

I think it could be fiat of some sort argenta or similar.....but it was in a load of spares from a lancia garageI don't think it's Y10
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: