Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member  (Read 7107 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »

Sorry, can't help with the pointers. My 1300 was timed up 5 years ago statically and I've never needed to mess with it since, other that to check the vacuum advance pipe which occasionally comes off at the distributor end.....
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 10:37:07 AM »

Just time it static for now strobe is really to check everything is working properly and is more accurate. I think this would have to be done as a rough rule of thumb it's not like with points! Remember that 10 degrees at crank isn't 10 degrees at the dizzy I think it's 5 degrees if I'm thinking right Huh?Huh?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:52:29 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »

Just time it static for now strobe is really to check everything is working properly and is more accurate. I think this would have to be done as a rough rule of thumb it's not like with points! Remember that 10 degrees at crank isn't 10 degrees at the dizzy I think it's 5 degrees if I'm thinking right Huh?Huh?

I think his difficulty is understanding what the pointers mean?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2019, 11:22:21 AM »

I think his difficulty is understanding what the pointers mean?

One mark on pulley is at TDC I'm not sure about the other marks, they are on my VX too but may differ. I know the printed info is confusing.!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:24:22 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
Berlinettaphil

England England

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »

I have finally got the engine running. I was at the stoneleigh kit car show at the weekend. H & H ignition systems had a stand there. I told him of my weak spark problems an the marelli dizzy. He told me although they didn't sell a specific kit for it their module would work with the standard trigger. I just needed to drill and tap a couple of m4 holes to mount the H & H module. An hour stripping, drilling and reassembling the dizzy resulted in a massive improvement. A well guessed timing setting resulted in an instant start. This was an engine that had not started since I bought the car whatever I tried. The part he gave me cost me £20 an absolute bargain. I am now going through all the other engine systems now before removing it for the bodywork rebuild. Long way to go yet but feeling more confident.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »

Most people just use TDC marks with some handy tippex and a strobe with an advance dial. Accurate ignition timing is well worth the effort BUT it depends on accurate TDC markings. If you are lucky you might have TDC marks on the flywheel and gearbox casing which will potentially be more accurate due to diameter and not being marks on a removable cover. 

Finding true TDC with the head on is an art form but is in on the web.

Good luck

Eric 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: