Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:43:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PROJECT TURBO A COUPE.  (Read 1465 times)
George-S

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 08, 2018, 10:03:58 PM »

Hi,

Few weeks ago I posted a question asking if it possible to turbo charge a 1.6 beta coupe instead of supercharging it.
I am now looking to actually give the project a go see how things turn out, My coupe is still in restoration and only just starting to get my head around to overhauling the engine, since I have had sooo much body work to do over the last 2 years or so.
So its going to be some what down the pipe line, but mainly want to plan thing out ahead of time see if it can be done! if at all.

Keep in mind that I haven't turbo-ed a car before so some what of a rookie... 
I would really love everyone involvement and ideas or suggestions anything would be awesome.

So here we go...

My first main question
everyone tells me what great engines lancia have and that they are built to last even when pushed... so wanted to pose the question is this going to far for it ? or could it take it..

The exhaust manifold ..
 Planning to have my friend who is welder & fabricator take a look see if he can build me a custom setup regarding this..
 Any suggestions regarding Exhaust flow etc would be great

The turbo itself

I see lots of negative comments online to people who put other car "guts" into lancias..
so is there a Turbo brand or one you think I could strip from another vehicle that might suit the beta more ..

Cooling
Slightly simpler but again a brand anyone can recommend for a intercooler?
I actually plan to have hood scoop above the engine to help dissipate heat away.

My biggest concern by far is the carburetor and how I go about changing that to support a turbo which i dought is even possible ..
which then takes me down the path of a custom one or a used one from another car but again what would work with the coupe if anything ? would I need to look at changing the head of the engine also if did ?
Completely unsure on that one so advice would be great!

Fuel management
I actually plan to keep the current fuel output and possible upgrade at the end if required... Im not looking for 100s more HP here just enough to give the old girl a bit of a kick plus a challenge 

So lets start with those i guess ?
I accept no small feat!
I am aware theirs much much more to think about but I feel these are the key areas first unless anyone can think of anything else?
AND again not something that going to happen overnight..

WOULD LOVE everyone's thoughts on this ..

Cheers George

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

You can get a good increase without turbocharging, if you must turbocharge I'd look first at the layout on the very early Delta HF with carb as a guide. However personally I think keeping a carb would be a bad idea you'd need to change to a bespoke fuel injection system. I'm sure Eric will be along to advise!
Be aware that any major changes such as moving the engine position may upset the superb handling balance of the Beta.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:41:34 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »

Hi

I can only imagine squeezing a turbo into the engine bay given the orientation of the exhaust and inlet will be a right royal PITA......

There may however be some mileage in looking at the later reverse port heads as I seem to remember that they may fit the Beta engines with mods to cooling and oil ways? That would give you good room for the turbo.

As mentioned above I would look to an IE version with a modern ECU system to hang it all together rather than a carb system.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: