Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:25:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poss fuel pump ?  (Read 7448 times)
Spyderfan

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 26, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »

Hi guys would love some advice if possible .
I've finally got to the stage of turning my Spyder over ..
However didn't fire up . Fuel filter is bone dry so I'm guessing it could be the pump ?
Took this off and the mechanical lever part only seems to have around half an inch of travel ?.. is this normal ?
No luck with an initial fire up with easy start either ...
Car hasn't been started for years
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

I think so but I can't say for certain as I have an electronic fuel pump.
What set up do you have? engine and year

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:44 AM »

Hi there the fuel pump travel sounds normal. More importantly if the engine has not started for years have you changed the cam belt and the engine oil?

I would spin the engine plugs out ignition disconnected throttle wide open to get both fuel and oil where they need to be. I would also check you have a spark at the plugs. No start or cough with easy start suggestions an ignition problem not just a dry carb. Of course you can take the top off the carb and add some petrol directly to the float chamber and if you have a spark and compression you should get a start provided the choke is engaging.

Be aware old oil and old cam belt can wreck your engine quickly.

Good luck

Eric
PS if you get it started and warmed up do a compression test hot, throttle wide open. plugs out.    
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:31 AM »

I would suspect the tank is blocked, try setting up a temporary tank once you have fuel I'd check the spark. As Eric says don't run it without new oil and belts
smithymc

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

All good advice as ever.

On mine, another long dormant car, I made sure the pump was doing something by checking the float chamber, but it took a while to get the pump to prime- quite a lot of spinning with the plugs out.

Mine then repeatedly broke down for crud in the tank so be warned!

I would also recommend a carb strip/clean before you start, these are old delicate instruments now and don’t take much upsetting.

Good luck.

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:38:35 AM »

Unless your pump is brand new you will need to prime the carb with fuel as above. Once started you can then check that fuel is going into the filter. The pumps don't usually fail completely, but as they age the diaphragm becomes porous, and they lose efficiency.
skidmarc

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »

To start my car after a long time not running it takes a long time for the fuel pump to fill the line to the filter so I attached a cheap syphon pump to the filter to pull the fuel to the filter then reattach the fuel line to the pump then pour fuel down the carb after a couple of turns it will fire up hope this helps
Spyderfan

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:17:30 PM »

I think so but I can't say for certain as I have an electronic fuel pump.
What set up do you have? engine and year

2.0 litre 1977
Spyderfan

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:18:36 PM »

Hi there the fuel pump travel sounds normal. More importantly if the engine has not started for years have you changed the cam belt and the engine oil?

I would spin the engine plugs out ignition disconnected throttle wide open to get both fuel and oil where they need to be. I would also check you have a spark at the plugs. No start or cough with easy start suggestions an ignition problem not just a dry carb. Of course you can take the top off the carb and add some petrol directly to the float chamber and if you have a spark and compression you should get a start provided the choke is engaging.

Be aware old oil and old cam belt can wreck your engine quickly.

Good luck

Eric
PS if you get it started and warmed up do a compression test hot, throttle wide open. plugs out.    

First thing I did was change lol and cam belt  .
I'll try what you suggested  many thanks
Spyderfan

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »

I would suspect the tank is blocked, try setting up a temporary tank once you have fuel I'd check the spark. As Eric says don't run it without new oil and belts

Very possibly . May drop tank to inspect .
Will try your idea with temporary supply .
Cheers
Spyderfan

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »

All good advice as ever.

On mine, another long dormant car, I made sure the pump was doing something by checking the float chamber, but it took a while to get the pump to prime- quite a lot of spinning with the plugs out.

Mine then repeatedly broke down for crud in the tank so be warned!

I would also recommend a carb strip/clean before you start, these are old delicate instruments now and don’t take much upsetting.

Good luck.

Hi thanks for your reply .
Have stripped and cleaned carb already . I'll try spinning with plugs out  I just hope starter doesn't get burnt out
Spyderfan

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »

To start my car after a long time not running it takes a long time for the fuel pump to fill the line to the filter so I attached a cheap syphon pump to the filter to pull the fuel to the filter then reattach the fuel line to the pump then pour fuel down the carb after a couple of turns it will fire up hope this helps

Thankyou mate
Spyderfan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 10:23:47 PM »

Unless your pump is brand new you will need to prime the carb with fuel as above. Once started you can then check that fuel is going into the filter. The pumps don't usually fail completely, but as they age the diaphragm becomes porous, and they lose efficiency.

Cheers for the advice . Will try the prime method
Spyderfan

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »

I have a drill pump . Maybe I can connect this to the fuel line somehow before the pump to draw the fuel up ?..
Kevo

England England

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »

Hi guys would love some advice if possible .
I've finally got to the stage of turning my Spyder over ..
However didn't fire up . Fuel filter is bone dry so I'm guessing it could be the pump ?
Took this off and the mechanical lever part only seems to have around half an inch of travel ?.. is this normal ?
No luck with an initial fire up with easy start either ...
Car hasn't been started for years
Last year I thought my fuel pump had packed up but when I took it off and cleaned it up making sure the little hole was very clean as this sucks the air to cause the vacuum, bunged it back on and it worked fine. Started her for the first time last week since last August and no problem.

1979 Beta Coupe 1600
1972 Triumph TR6 Pi
2005 BMW Z4 Roadster
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »

I have a drill pump . Maybe I can connect this to the fuel line somehow before the pump to draw the fuel up ?..

I think that this would be too powerful. The float chamber only needs a couple of egg cups of fuel. I use a rubber priming bulb with some lengths of hose attached and fit it between the metal line entering the engine bay and the filter, bypassing the pump.

Didn't need to do this this year with the new pump fitted however.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: