Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New member 1978 coupe off ebay  (Read 13516 times)
Elvis the cat

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 03, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »

Hello everyone, I thought it was about time I got round to posting seeing as how I have been taking full advantage of everyone’s expertise in these tech posts for a few months now. I bought a bronze 1978 beta off eBay in November with a rush of blood to the head. I actually met a few of you guys the following day at the NEC classic car show and everyone’s friendly helpful advice made me feel a little bit less crazy, so big thank you but sorry can’t remember names. I am hopeless at this tech stuff, it’s took me half an hour to work out how to post this😬 I will attempt to post some pics of the car if I manage to get this post up and running. I’ve always been nuts on Lancia since 80s rallying success. Dad had two Trevis and I’ve had a Delta and a Thema 16v turbo which was the most awesome car I’ve ever had. I had a TVR Tasmin for about 12 years which I pretty much had to rebuild so I’ve got a good grounding in electrics made with string😂
Anyway back to beta which was abandoned for at least 6 years outside which has totally ruined the previous respray it’s had with micro blisters. It was a non runner but pleased to report after purchasing correct parts for ignition off you guys and working out a points short was being caused by its own + feed to the coil (how is that possible) it’s running rather smooth. Cambelt changed and new petrol put in of course. Anyway I will now try post a pic and get round to asking for some of my missing bits I can’t seem to find anywhere else - cheers
Elvis the cat

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:24:36 AM »

Photo posting not going well - phone pics must are too big. Mrs Elvis the cat has just told me off for forgetting her Dedra 😱 and by the way we have a cat called Elvis and I was struggling to think of a name. Is it officially tragic to reply to your own posts?
Elvis the cat

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »

Fingers crossed this works

* 54F1C3AD-B454-4239-A105-90E4E559ABEF.jpeg (148.68 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1536 times.)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »

Hi and welcome

So 2 x Trevis, must constitute some sort of record .....

Most folk, me included, have only ever seen Theo's!

Cannot remember the specific car on Ebay, but does look good in the photo, and nice to have the pre facelift interior, always liked those seats.

What is like underneath, i.e. Sills and wheel arches?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Elvis the cat

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »

Hi Peter
Well the two Trevis were going back to the late 80’s early 90’s. The first one was a ropey maroon/burgundy one which was kept as a donor one for its replacement pale blue one. We chopped the first one up on the drive and kept the useful bits in the greenhouse much to my Mothers horror😂 I’ve still got its funky dash hanging up in the garage.

The current beta isn’t too bad on the rot front. I’ve focused on the engine so far to make sure it’s not all going to be a battle. The floor is solid and the boot arches likewise. The front inner wings pretty good from what I can see but front near side wing has split open at the bottom so that could be hiding some horrors. Plan is to start stripping it back now to do what I can (no welding kit) then send it off for body stuff and paint. Seats are fab shape but life outside has faded them badly to point of rear headrests have disintegrated.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »

Welcome.

Smart looking car from 10' away if nothing else! It sounds like you've got a great basis for a project there.

Stuart
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:19:40 PM by HFStuart » Logged
Elvis the cat

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »

Hi Stuart
Yeah that’s how I am viewing it a good basis for a decent project. Photos flatter it a bit as you can’t see all the paint blisters and there is the usual scabs around the front and rear screens. I am particularly dreading removing them having read other people’s posts. Want to keep it as original as possible with the same paint colour but maybe retrim seats in same green colour alcantara as I won’t get a cloth match.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »

I don't know the answer to this but where the fabric is in OK condition can it be dyed? It might be simpler ( and cheaper ) than a re-trim.
Elvis the cat

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

That maybe a possibility and I would prefer to keep it original but as rear headrests have disintegrated so much I fear that tops of seats will be equally fragile. I was planning on using some guys on Teesside I've used before who should be able to let me know. Lots of jobs to do in the meantime.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »

Best option is to keep an eye on eBay, you will find that used seats might appear that can be cannibalised for cloth or even complete seats in decent nick it does happen! Also try asking on 'club lancia Beta' on Facebook there's a lot of people on there in Europe that might come up with the goods!
Elvis the cat

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »

Hi there, cheers for the advice, I've been looking on foreign eBay sites but have only seen later style of seats. Never thought about Facebook, I don't want to create a profile but know plenty of people who would ask for me. Think I saw some head rests on "old timer" site which are as nasty as mine. I bought a rear window from Italy eBay as one of mine was beyond hope. It's a stainless one and I now have the challenge of swapping out the green glass for my clear. Looks tricky as corners are welded/braised and trim fitting to car is different so will need to clip my trim on too. The shape looks identical though as it fits in gap perfectly. Any tips on doing this?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Not too dangerous to sign up to Facebook, you can always just lurk on groups that are of interest i.e. Lancia ones!
RichB

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »

Is this car for sale on Car and Classic? There can't be that many bronze betas?
Elvis the cat

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:59 PM »

I hope not, it should be in the garage..... Nope this ones mine and it’s a 2000 with a different front end, that ones a 1600, exactly the same inside even down to the milky dash lens

* A65F78D3-6645-4755-B84F-364A1580A46A.jpeg (125.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 449 times.)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »

even down to the milky dash lens

That's a feature of the pre facelift cars. Most simply remove it.
skidmarc

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 12:41:46 AM »

Nice looking car and a 78 mines a 78 as well and iam from Teesside hope to see more pics of your car
RichB

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »

Looks good, where abouts are you? I have a very rusty S2 that I will need advice for!
Elvis the cat

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »

Hey, awesome, what are the chances, two 78 coupes in the Boro (Middlesbrough) It could be some time before you see mine driving about. Want to get it sorted before I venture onto the roads. As for the milky dash, I've bought some acrylic off eBay and have cut out the shape with a dremel but haven't actually tried fitting it yet, it looks simple which means there will be some snag I haven't thought of!!!
skidmarc

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:07 PM »

Mine will be off the road for a while .iam going to do a full restoration .at the moment mine's all striped down at the moment glad to have another beta close buy
Elvis the cat

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »

Same plan here, been procrastinating really as it’s so flippin cold, need to take the plunge. What are your rear window frames like?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: