Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:30:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Strut Mount Bearing Replacement  (Read 20101 times)
Gromit

Australia Australia

1979 Coupe 2000

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2024, 03:00:18 PM »

Excellent work Peter in clarifying the two different versions of beta front strut thrust bearing arrangements and providing a definitive photographic record of each along with an accompanying explanation. I think this thread is very nearly finally complete and resolved!

Just to clarify, am I correct in assuming that the aftermarket replacement SKF needle roller thrust bearing itself (SKF AXK 4060 with 60mm OD and 40mm ID dimensions), can only be used as a removable replacement bearing component with the thrust bearing arrangement in the second (lower) of the two photos in your reply #39, showing the lower supporting washer with a centre flange to locate it into the strut upper seat?

From your description the thrust bearing assembly in the first version, (first or upper photo), may be more than just an easily separated snug press fit into the top support washer with the 6 locating lugs and therefore not a serviceable replacement bearing? The Lancia original part number 82303013 thrust bearing part "kit" comes supplied with the bearing already mounted inside the top washer with 6 locating lugs as well as the lower thrust wafer thin flat washer and rubber seal, but not the lower flanged washer.

If that is the case, I may need to return the two replacement needle roller thrust bearings if they cannot readily be fitted into the top washer support housing, should the need arise in future. Not good news if that is the case for other Beta owners, with the first photo thrust bearing arrangement, searching for a replacement needle roller thrust bearing solution, given the scarcity of the Lancia OE parts, specifically #82303013 for the first version and whatever the Lancia part number is for the second thrust bearing version (Lancia OE part # 82372832?).

It also underscores the need to NOT leave the Beta front strut needle roller thrust bearings unserviced for too long, (cleaned and regreased), such that any lubricating (preferably) waterproof grease goes so hard and dry as to lose all of its lubricating qualities, resulting in the bearing needle rollers eventually being ground into a paste and causing the steering to become very heavy and difficult to drive. Because sourcing a replacement solution could well prove difficult!

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 03:37:33 PM by Gromit » Logged

Family Italian car fleet: 1979 Beta Coupe 2000, Fiat 124 Spyder (and a 2007 Fiat Punto!)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2024, 03:29:16 PM »

Hi Andrew

You are correct the first type will not split, I tried and it will deform the bearing if you try. The folded over securing lip is too big to allow the metal cased bearing to pop free, which is a shame. I measured the second type and the OD is 58mm, not 60, internally it is 40mm. Interestingly the second type has a plastic holder for the needle rollers whereas the first type has a metal holder.

Oh the joys of old cars eh?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: