Lancia Beta Forum
December 14, 2017, 04:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2017 Events Calendar
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=85.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Donations Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider refurbishment  (Read 417 times)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »

Car-tilter (tm) coming along nicely!

I just need some bits of angle to link the legs together and I may look at making it telescopic.

Total cost 120 so far.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:34:54 PM by HFStuart » Logged
Rob Mac

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »

Looks like you're winning with your Spider refurbishment  Wink. How long have you been working on her?
mangocrazy

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:34:55 AM »

Wow Stuart - that's really impressive! I presume that's box section steel that is bolted (welded?)to the engine stand? What are the points on the body shell that you've bolted to - are they the bumper mounting points? I presume the engine has been removed to lower the weight being rotated - can you rotate the car through a full 360 degrees without it scraping on the floor?

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

Rob,

I bought it in 2009 as a non-runner. It had been ziebarted when new some most of the car was solid a part from the front strut towers and the bottom of the A pillars which has succumbed due to lack of wheel arch liners. I'd just broken a very rotten Spider ( a bad buy) that had very good strut tops so they were swapped. I then drove if for until Summer 2015 doing a few engine mods along the way (  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AgCW5sUsl4 any excuse to plug that clip! ) before investigating a hole in the bottom of the B pillar that was a little larger than expected.

Though the car could have been got through another MOT I knew at some point it would have to come off the road for a full restoration - it was always a good ' 10 foot ' car - so that was the time to do it. Progress has been slow since but steady. The plan is to get it dipped in the next few months before welding and sorting a few bodges out.

Yep  - that's 25x50 box very securely bolted to the stands and to the bumper mounts. The engine was most definitely taken out first - no way would I trust it with the extra 200+kg in it. The subframe is left in place though as it adds quite a lot of strength to the front end. With the running gear off and the heavy stuff such as doors off the shell doesn't weight that much 3-400kg perhaps? It won't quite do a 360 yet but I have plans to make the uprights telescopic  - they only need to go up another 150mm or so.
mangocrazy

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »

Full marks, anyway Stuart. I'm impressed - not only with the thought and work that's gone into it, but your bravery in tackling it and getting it this far. Obviously the lighter you can make the shell, the better as far as putting it on a rotisserie. It's certainly given me food for thought. Would a Spider shell be rigid enough to permit this kind of approach, do you think?

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 09:44:18 PM »

Hi

Stuart's is a Spider.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
Rob Mac

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »

It may take a few years finish Stuart but you can't rush a decent restoration  Wink. At least your Beta Spider is basically a solid shell (apart from the bottom of the B pillar) so you shouldn't have too much welding or fabrication to do (fingers crossed). Are you sure you want to acid dip the shell? I feel this is a really aggressive procedure as the acid can get trapped in box sections & cause these areas to rust from the inside out  Cry. When you get the time could you put a few photos of your restoration up? Cheers, Rob
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:31 PM »

There are difference types of dip. I agree it's an area where you need to be careful.

I'd be wary of one that used ( for example ) hydrochloric acid to remove everything. The process I'm considering uses a pyrolysis  process to remove paint, filler oil underseal etc and then a phosphoric acid for the rust only.

It certainly isn't being rushed!! I feel a bit guilty for how little time I've spent on it. I sold my Alfa 916 GTV as it was a distraction but change of job and spending way too much time travelling for work have also taken their toll. I'll get to it though, it's too much fun to drive not to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: