Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:31:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool loans  (Read 4388 times)
jreacock

England England

« on: August 07, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »

Hi. Just wanted to offer up my shim removal tool in case anyone else needs one. It took me a while to find, and then had to get it from Germany (and then slightly modify it). It worked fine for holding the buckets down allowing the shims to be removed with the cam shafts etc. in place. So - if anyone needs one - let me know. I'm sure that most of us have bought a few special tools for working on the Beta - so I was wondering whether it would be worth people listing out anything a bit different - like this shim tool that I had to get. Even if it is just to detail where it was bought from, as it can take ages to hunt these things down. For me - I'd be happy to post this off as long as it was returned in the same condition.

I found it on this site: https://shop.schiminsky.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_45&products_id=2391

* shim-tool.jpg (51.7 KB, 512x343 - viewed 512 times.)

69 Fulvia 1.6HF S1
71 Works Fulvia 1.6HF
75 Gp4 Stratos HF
81 Beta Spyder 2.0
82 037 Rally stradale
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »

Hi

The LMC have a number of the special tools for the Beta, but worth considering if you need anything. I do not have a list, but happy to ask if anyone needs anything specific, though would be worth joining of course......

Peter
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:15:25 AM by peteracs » Logged

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »

I've not seen that site before looks interesting. I think you are extremely generous in offering to loan out your tool, I admire your enthusiasm however I would recommend you proceed with caution and only lend to those you know very well, I've lost quite a few items over the years 'lending' to tight fisted lancisti although I hasten to add no one that's on here as far as I know! I do have several of the special tool catalogues so I can post pictures of any special tool if that's of interest and I  do have a few special  tools that I can measure etc. If anyone is ambitious enough to try to make your own.
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »

The problem with lending tools is that everyone knows where to go to borrow them but forget where to return them.
I've never lent a tool that I didn't have to ask for it back!
These shim tools are hard to find some as already stated,be careful!

Rust never sleeps
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:09 PM »

That's a very generous offer, and one for which I applaud you! I've thought for a while that this is an item that we as a forum might look into having remanufactured. Can you tell me what modification you had to make to yours to get it to work as you wished? I'd be looking at getting the tool remanufactured in high quality steel (tool steel or even carbide).

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »

Hi

If it can be bought for 30 Euros, why go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »

Hi

If it can be bought for 30 Euros, why go to the trouble of reinventing the wheel?

Peter

Damn,I paid about  €60 for mine!

Rust never sleeps
jreacock

England England

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 01:44:43 AM »

Sorry - I didn't see the message asking about the modifications that were needed.

It was just a slight widening, as the first shim I tried to extract wouldn't quite come out. I also filed a slight taper (just to take the burr off really) to also help the shim come out easier.

As I used it, the process got easier, so there may not have been anything wrong at all the first time I tried it - and it just took a bit of getting used to. It works fine though, although you do need a lever in order to push the shim back down so that you can extract this tool once finished. You could push the car forward in 4th (which is what I did compress each shim before removing), but you may have to be careful of valve / piston contact. I took the plugs out, and put a dowel into the bore to see what the piston was up to.

You have to work on one shim at a time, take it out - measure it, fit a new one - whatever you're doing - but you can't leave any buckets without shims. That's obvious to me now, but when I was reading up about it all before starting, it wasn't.

69 Fulvia 1.6HF S1
71 Works Fulvia 1.6HF
75 Gp4 Stratos HF
81 Beta Spyder 2.0
82 037 Rally stradale
smithymc

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »

These work out at 50 euro with the postage, but think I'll invest on one.

Mark
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »

These work out at 50 euro with the postage, but think I'll invest on one.

Mark

It's a wise investment, not used very often but the job is a pain otherwise. Shame they are quite pricey but it's not as simple a design as it first looks. I have one from a different supplier that ahead to be cut from stainless steel but I'm not sure that it's still available and fiat ones are very hard to find more except at silly prices
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »

There is also an associated tool for holding the bucket down to get this tool in from what I understand and was mentioned above. I will post a photo when I get time.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »

There is also an associated tool for holding the bucket down to get this tool in from what I understand and was mentioned above. I will post a photo when I get time.

Peter

That tool is overkill tbh it's easy to use without, lancia did sometimes issue the unnecessary! A magnetic pickup tool is handy to pick up the shims.
Andyt

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »

I have some special tools too. Not sure what's in the box, but it's pretty heavy I think there are shims in there as well. These were my father's, from when he worked at what used to be a Fiat dealer. Shims only ever seemed to be needed after a head rebuild, which was generally about three months after the recommended timing belt change! Generally speaking, the gaps closed up after the valves were ground in, so you had to measure the actual gap, then calculate the new shim thickness and take into account the thickness of the old shim. With luck, you could move a few of them around, so you only needed three or four additional shims.

If I take some photos, perhaps some kind soul can identify them for me. Better still, we could make it into a quiz.....
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »

Hi. Just wanted to offer up my shim removal tool in case anyone else needs one. It took me a while to find, and then had to get it from Germany (and then slightly modify it). It worked fine for holding the buckets down allowing the shims to be removed with the cam shafts etc. in place. So - if anyone needs one - let me know. I'm sure that most of us have bought a few special tools for working on the Beta - so I was wondering whether it would be worth people listing out anything a bit different - like this shim tool that I had to get. Even if it is just to detail where it was bought from, as it can take ages to hunt these things down. For me - I'd be happy to post this off as long as it was returned in the same condition.

I found it on this site: https://shop.schiminsky.de/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_45&products_id=2391

Just got round to ordering myself one of these tools. I've had it sent to the house in France where the Spider currently resides, so should be arriving any day now. Cheers for the heads-up...

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

Peter

This is the tool

* IMG_0010.JPG (409.72 KB, 2683x1102 - viewed 361 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »

Hi Peter

Safer to roll the engine over to depress the bucket or you risk pushing the valve into the piston or the other valve. I have used the hook tool Graham has just bought for years along with a fine screwdriver for the flat in the bucket and a magnetic pickup tool.

Enjoy
PS I do not lend my tools I have been bitten too often by folk who damage or never return tools.
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »

Yes, unfortunately I'm with Eric on this one; I don't lend tools, books or vinyl/CDs for exactly the same reason. Been bitten too many times. On a more positive note the cam/bucket/shim tool arrived yesterday and looks exceedingly fit for purpose. Not used it yet, but doubt it will be unused for long.

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: