Lancia Beta Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie going to see a Beta Coupe  (Read 8813 times)
RichB

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »

Hi there
Ive been looking for a Beta Coupe on and off for a couple of years but invariably work family commitments mean I miss them. Anyway, this weekend I'm off to see one that has been restored and is now rust free.
I'll take a trolley jack - can people advise me where to look for rust - I know windscreen surrounds are a vulnerable area, how to check rear struts?
Any other things to look for?
Thanks in advance
Richard
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »

Hi Richard

Welcome and hope you have a successful outcome.

Main other areas in my experience are base of the A pillars/front of sills. Also top of the front inner wings around strut mounts and at the front where the lights are. You need to check within the wheel arch not just in the engine bay. My car looked OK, but ended up needing significant replacement metal.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »

Whereabouts Richard - there might me a knowledgeable member close by!
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »

how to check rear struts?

The easiest way is to have a deep look from inside of the car. It is certainly a much easier task in a case of an HPE, as there is also access from the passenger compartment, but in coupes you can try to find any rotten areas underneath the trim in the boot space. You can try to look from underside, but these spots can be covered by dirt or protection mastics.
From my experience the worst places were rear struts towers and inner wheel arches (at the sheet seams) and doors - bottom parts and tops, just under quarterlights mounted mirrors. My HPE is a late model equipped with front wheel arch guards, so there were no issues in these areas.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
RichB

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 05:58:42 PM »

It's in Northampton.
RichB

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

OK, viewed the car yesterday. Looked super at 10 feet. Up close bubbles on top and lots of black underneath. Underneath rear window all bubbly, C pillar going down to main body was bubbly, bubbles and blown over paint at bottoms of door, crustiness at A pillar wing junction, also on inside visible when door was open. Very nice chap, not mechanical and had not ever jacked car up - as I pointed rear jack point looked crusty and was creaking somewhat as I started to jack so gave up and used middle one instead.
Interior very good.
Engine a bit oily, again lots of black underseal everywhere, eg. front cross member. On the road a bit hesitant only nippy when foot was right down - I drove up in an old 3 litre Audi which is very quick. Engine hunting and lumpy and fumes - MOT said it was rich last year.
Thoughts?
Thanks
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »

Sounds like a massive job once stripped down, by rear jacking point if you mean the square bracket with hole in middle those aren't meant for jacking you are supposed to use the standard jack in the slot central on the sill. I'd say that was about typical of the condition of many Betas  that are still on the road it just depends how much dedication you have, from my own experience it will be at least twice as bad as it looks, same as any old car really. You'd be better off to try to find one in near pristine condition even if you have to pay a bit over the odds. I do think that price guides under value Betas and I think that is because most of the small number of cars on the market at any given time aren't as immaculate as advertised thereby distorting the perceived  price, when truly good cars come up they make good money.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:26:30 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
RichB

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »

Thanks Rosso, my thinking too. It was up for 5850 so I was prepared to pay top money for a rust free car. This car had been dinitrolled. Thanks for the tip about the jacking point.
I think I may be getting unrealistic expectations as i was fortunate to import an Alfetta from South Africa which is totally rust free despite no evidence of rustproofing. The Alfetta felt much torquier too, though it is a 2000 and the Lancia a 1.6. I'm also a sucker for a white or silver car and these are pretty rare. Kicking myself now for missing the white one at Anglia Auctions, just didn't have cash and time at that point.
Thanks for your advice. Maybe see you at Italian car meets, though I am unlikely to be in a Lancia at this rate!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »

Engine choice is very much a personal thing, the 1600 is very smooth and sweet when on form but lacks torque, it'll easily rev to 7k. I had an immaculate 1600 Berlina years ago which was lovely but I did find the lack of torque a bit of a pain, maybe in a lighter coupé not so bad though? The 2000 is an easier drive but not as sweet a bit more gruff but in my opinion improved in the injection version, the downside of injection coupé is possibly the upholstery which I find a bit disappointing compared with earlier cars. Volumex has a particularly interesting character but from a rational viewpoint probably isn't as good as an IE, lots of torque, not a lot at the top end and less willing to rev as well as using a lot more fuel.
smithymc

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »

Rich

Why not come along to Betameeta and have a look/ride in a variety of Betas- you wouldn't be the only Alfa this year either.

Mark
RichB

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »

Thanks for the invite, I'm in Ledbury, if there is one not too far away i will do my best to attend. You're right, I need to see some and chat to the owners. There was a 1.3 in Bristol last week, but I couldn't see the owner, it was blue. In fact I went to see Beta Coupes and it was the only one, I think.
smithymc

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 04:49:01 PM »

This years is in 3 weeks time - in Shropshire, so pretty close.

Mark
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »

Thanks for the invite, I'm in Ledbury, if there is one not too far away i will do my best to attend. You're right, I need to see some and chat to the owners. There was a 1.3 in Bristol last week, but I couldn't see the owner, it was blue. In fact I went to see Beta Coupes and it was the only one, I think.

That was my car in Bristol. Sorry I missed you. Yes, mine was the only Coupe, plus the yellow Spider next to it. I'll be at Betameeta if you want a proper look.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: