Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: beta race sump any ideas?  (Read 17451 times)
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« on: February 10, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »

Dear All,

I have successfully raced a beta coupe for several years, and coped with the dreaded Beta oil surge on right hand corners with the aid of baffles, trap doors, windage tray and accusump.

My latest Guy Croft full race engine though seems to have tested the limits of this system and I managed to spin no.2 big end bearing at 8500rpm in 3rd gear.....Video playback revealed I had 47psi oil pressure at this point, after coming out of a long right hand corner. my low pressure warning light doesn't come on until 30 psi....Normally it would be at 70-80 psi at this rpm. the accusump could no longer keep up as it had emptied all 2 quarts of oil into the engine, most of which ended up in the catch tank....

Luckily it did not throw a rod as I felt it momentarily lose power and backed off straight away, but still required a new crank and resized rod.

I am all out of ideas for trying to stick with a wet sump now, and before I go and spend my kids inheritance on a dry sump system, wondered if anyone else out there had had any success?

HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »

What sump were you using ? Have you seen Guys newer design? It's in the new book if no.

I have this fitted and though I don't generate anything like the g you do it does get chucked about and no sign of surge at all.

thecolonel
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »

If you're hitting corners that hard
I think the only answer is a dry sump.
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »

Hi Stuart

I tried a similar setup to Guys new design but it did not make much difference. From what I can tell only the top windage tray is different have not seen what arrangement the gate is on this setup.

I think dry sump may be the only way, or increased oil capacity/reduce engine RPM, the volume of oil being pumped at 8500rpm is obviously too great and empties the sump pretty quickly!! On track I am now using a lower gear and more rpm, engine rarely drops below 5-6K!!

Thanks for the replies

Anyone know where I can obtain a cheap dry sump pump....
Jasonkennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »

8,500 yeeks, I only take my race Beta to 7,200,  which is why I guess the baffled sump and accusump have been sufficient. I spoke to Pace Products about a dry sump set up for my Fiat Coupe but it wasn't just the cost of the pump but the design and build of the sump pan that made it too costly for me to consider.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »

Hi

Maybe a silly couple of questions, but is it not possible to increase the size of the sump pan to allow a greater amount of oil to be used and or reduce the pump rate of oil per rpm given you are mainly using high revs?

This would probably be a whole lot cheaper than dry sump solution and keep the kids on side....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 03:01:09 PM »

Ian

A larger 4 Quart Accusump with a rev limit down to 8000 RPM is probably the most cost effective as it will hold the pressure for longer. But only for short periods with recovery time needed before the next long high G corner.

Eric
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:11:23 AM »

Hi

Maybe a silly couple of questions, but is it not possible to increase the size of the sump pan to allow a greater amount of oil to be used and or reduce the pump rate of oil per rpm given you are mainly using high revs?

This would probably be a whole lot cheaper than dry sump solution and keep the kids on side....

Peter
Not much space on a beta it's compromised by the transverse layout, rwd cars are a lot easier
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:10:52 AM »

I wonder if the Montecarlo pump and pan could be used. I know mine holds almost twice as much as the HPE. The larger accusump is also a good suggestion. I would suggest you contact Guy Croft, let him know the set-up you are using, what your issue was, and then see what he recommends. This really is in his wheelhouse and he is the expert. Let us know what you figure out.

Dave

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:41:07 AM »

Space on a fwd beta is restricted by the subframe
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »

Gents thanks for the replies. Engine rebuilt with smaller 38mm chokes to try to increase low down torque and rev limit of 7500 RPM for now.

My next idea is this, to try a swinging oil pickup. I have ordered one from the U.S and will see if it will work.

75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »

Well dyno tuned the car with 38mm chokes and lost 7BHP top end but gained a heap of low down torque.

Now putting out 148 BHP at the wheels and with 7700rpm limit it survived 44 laps of Lakeside Park easily with oil pressure never below 60psi!

Swinging pickup arrived so now to try & fit it!!
archigraphe

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »

Hello, do you have more information with this sump?

Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: