Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:11:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater unit replacement - does it need gasket to bulkhead?  (Read 3164 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: March 21, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »

Hi All

Given it is a few years since I removed the heater unit from the bulkhead and now ready to reinstall, I need to understand if there is a gasket between the unit and the bullhead?

The parts book is unclear as no specific one is shown in the explosion picture and cannot see one in the list. Also I have two units and neither appear to have had one or at least there are no remains to be seen, but if I look at the bulkhead there is what I think are the remnants of a cork like gasket?

Given the position of the heater unit, it appears to be a natural water trap or is there a rubber seal which goes around the top of the opening in the bulkhead?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »

Hi Peter

I cannot remember for the Beta heater but on a Monte there is a foam gasket which I remade in closed cell foam to reduce leaks and remove a built in water trap.

Eric 
squiglyzigly

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »

I can't remember if there is a gasket to the bulk head but if my memory serves me, there is a rubber drain boot/pipe that drops any moisture back into the engine bay. So there probably isn't any need for a gasket.
There is a foam seal for the air flap but I think that is only to close the air flow, and not to prevent ingress of water as that is always going to happen on a rainy day with the fan on and flap open. Hence the drain pipe.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The drain points on the area where the wiper motor sits etc will take the bulk of the ingress from the vents, however I was thinking of the small gap around the heater where it protrudes up into that area, albeit small/thin it looks to me like a built in water trap or easy access for water into the main cabin depending how sealed it is around the heater. I think I may use some rubber or foam to just make sure. On the flap you are correct there is foam which I have replaced, but that is mainly there to stop the flap rattling against the main body when closed I suspect and will having only a little bearing on water ingress into the heater given its inverted position.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: