Lancia Beta Forum
September 20, 2017, 05:32:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Lancaster Car Insurance Discount available to Forum members
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3228.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Donations Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater unit replacement - does it need gasket to bulkhead?  (Read 408 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 21, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »

Hi All

Given it is a few years since I removed the heater unit from the bulkhead and now ready to reinstall, I need to understand if there is a gasket between the unit and the bullhead?

The parts book is unclear as no specific one is shown in the explosion picture and cannot see one in the list. Also I have two units and neither appear to have had one or at least there are no remains to be seen, but if I look at the bulkhead there is what I think are the remnants of a cork like gasket?

Given the position of the heater unit, it appears to be a natural water trap or is there a rubber seal which goes around the top of the opening in the bulkhead?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
WestonE

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »

Hi Peter

I cannot remember for the Beta heater but on a Monte there is a foam gasket which I remade in closed cell foam to reduce leaks and remove a built in water trap.

Eric 
squiglyzigly

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »

I can't remember if there is a gasket to the bulk head but if my memory serves me, there is a rubber drain boot/pipe that drops any moisture back into the engine bay. So there probably isn't any need for a gasket.
There is a foam seal for the air flap but I think that is only to close the air flow, and not to prevent ingress of water as that is always going to happen on a rainy day with the fan on and flap open. Hence the drain pipe.

Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
Aprilia RSVR 2002
Aprilia Tuono R (130 rear wheel BHP)
Alfa 159 sportwagon
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies. The drain points on the area where the wiper motor sits etc will take the bulk of the ingress from the vents, however I was thinking of the small gap around the heater where it protrudes up into that area, albeit small/thin it looks to me like a built in water trap or easy access for water into the main cabin depending how sealed it is around the heater. I think I may use some rubber or foam to just make sure. On the flap you are correct there is foam which I have replaced, but that is mainly there to stop the flap rattling against the main body when closed I suspect and will having only a little bearing on water ingress into the heater given its inverted position.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: