Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:49:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Existing owner - Just been in hibernation  (Read 8155 times)
SIMid

Australia Australia

« on: January 11, 2017, 01:48:39 AM »

G'day everyone,

I registered here back in 2009, but never posted, which I will explain.

Back in 2007, I inherited my father's Beta Spyder as he was too old to drive it anymore. Having lived all it's life in Hong Kong, the car was shipped to Australia. Unknown to me, regarding the condition, my father said she was in good nick. Well, she was like swiss cheese. Rust and body filler everywhere. Plus the paint has had it's day.

So the car lived on my front lawn for a few years, trying to find a panel beater that will do an excellent job and not rip me off. Found a bloke who was only a few minutes drive from home and added myself to his waiting list. So a few more years went by and 6 years ago, he told me that he had room in his 8 car shed and to bring the car over.

So she sat there for 6 years and work has finally begun end of last year. So looks like she will be completed, possibly within 3-6 months time.

Will be expensive as I will need attention to the interior and also get that engine turning and then, running. Also the challenges of getting the car engineered for Australian compliance. Also having issues with the rear seat belts as the engineer wants retractable sash belts (some may have seen my post on FB).

Reasons why I am going through all this when the expense will probably be more than what the car is worth....

Well, my father had it since new. We always had Lancias in the family and this was the last one in his list of owning Lancias (2000 Coupe, HF Fanalone Fulvia 1.3, HF Fanalone Fulvia 1.6, Beta HPE and the Spider). Lastly, it was the first car I was taught to drive in so it has a special place in my heart.

Thanks for reading! Smiley

Simon

Simon

13 Golf GTi - 81 DMC12 - 79 Lancia Beta Spyder
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

Sounds encouraging  - can we have some pictures?

What year and spec?

Oh and a very belated welcome!
SIMid

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:39:02 AM »

Thanks!

79 Spyder.

When I picked her up.

Current state.

Simon

SIMid

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:32:38 AM »

Been a few months since my last update.

Unfortunately, the rust was that terminal that I had to scrap the car  Cry Cry Cry Cry My panel beater found extensive rust down both A-pillars, cross member, inner door sills that were barely holding onto a partial floor. Also rusted through to the firewall. All strut towers were rotted through. Windscreen frame rotted as well.

The budget had inflated to a point that it was going to cost me, possibly double to triple to what I was expecting.

So .... I manage to find a running Spider, that needs a little work. A little rust around the windscreen frame, lower passenger door, corner of the door sill, a golf ball size hole on the passenger floor and that's about it. Mechanically, needs a tune and service (sitting for the past 18 months). Has an oil leak on the rear cam cover, but the owner said not to repair it as if driven, the heat will mend the cork gasket. Discovered it had a slipping clutch driving home to top it off. The rear hood isn't too bad, some small holes on either side, but the window is fairly clear. Dash board has several cracks and the previous owner had made some DIY repairs on the headlight stalk.

So my father's car is close to being stripped down to the last bolt and the body, with the hood and boot will be recycled. I'm keeping the doors, my dash (no cracks), set of rims, whole interior, front guards, engine and gearbox.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:37:08 AM by SIMid » Logged

Simon

SIMid

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »

Some pics ....

Simon

cheeky monkey

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Hi Simon
sorry to hear your fathers car can't be saved but you have useful spares at least. Good luck with the next project.
Graham

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Sloany

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »

Hi

Are you selling parts still?
I need headlights if available and a spare wheel

Thanks Garry
Ammy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »

I could do with the top piece of the steering column shroud,  mangled mine trying to get it off.
SIMid

Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 03:55:03 AM »

ATM I'm not selling any parts till I get this other Spider restored and registered. I am sure that I will be swapping bits over in the next few months.

Once that is done and the car is completed, then I will be selling what I don't need (which will please the Mrs immensely).

Simon

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: