Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:12:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early model HPE heater core/ac unit removal  (Read 2332 times)
mwredit

United States United States

« on: January 02, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »

I'm attempting to remove the heater/ac unit in my '77 HPE to replace the heater core.  I've removed the 4 upper attaching nuts under the cowl, the heater hoses and ac lines.  I can only get the unit to drop and wiggle 1/2".  It seems as though there's another bolt or two holding it up, but unable to see through all the wiring, glovebox, etc.  I've consulted the factory service manual and the very vague Haynes manual to no avail.  I've scoured the firewall for extra bolts, etc and found nothing that would hold this unit in.  On most US made cars, you have to remove the whole dashboard to replace the heater core.  I hope I dont have to do this here.  What am I overlooking here?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike R.

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
1961 MG Midget
1974 Ford Mustang II Ghia
1977 Lancia Beta HPE
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:59 PM »

It's a long while since I've done this but I've got the feeling the dash has to come out  - the good news is it's a pretty simple job.
mwredit

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:33:13 AM »

Update...The heater/ac unit is now out.  The back of the unit was stuck to the firewall insulation, which is coated with a tar-like substance and hardened with age.  I gave a little more force than I did the last time with a tug from the back, then the front and with a slight twist.  That did it.

Mike R.

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
1961 MG Midget
1974 Ford Mustang II Ghia
1977 Lancia Beta HPE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: