Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:06:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Project beta !  (Read 2662 times)
George-S

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 21, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »

Hello !

So few months ago I posted some pictures of me first collecting my restoration project of a 1979 Lancia beta 1.6.
 I am happy to say the restoration is in full swing. I have suddenly realized that I have quite possibly bitten off more than i can chew. But hey never say never.. I have had about 8 months on her now and you can see what I have accomplished if you wish in the link below.
Ok SOOOO ... I went about stripping the rear wheel arches down to bear metal as i noticed minor rust damage. HOWEVER this then revealed how bad the situation had got.The rear left turret had nearly collapsed in on itself as rust had eaten away the back front and sides of the wheel arches I got to work cutting the infected metal out of the wheel arches and sides of the tower and then cut the entire outer wheel arch off as it was so heavy decayed. all metal was then replaced with fresh steel which was then welded and sprayed with rust protection coating. During this i also cut out infected metal in other areas of the left wing that had been eaten away at.  Then order brand new outer wheel arch to complete the outside line. which after all the metal work that had been removed and re added the outer wheel arch lined up nicely. once I was happy that it was complete I then fibber glassed the the inside and outside of the arch to help protect it in the future. Then used body filler to help with the rest .The inside was then lined with Wheel arch Tar to help with yet more protection. Car was then resprayed in that section just more as proof concept then anything else and Is by far and away not the finished product.

The rear of car has been completely reconstructed from scratch as you can see where the boot lid would sit only around 15% of the metal in the photos is original the rest is fabricated from scratch.

The boot lid/rear window ledge was more rust then metal as you can see in the photos it was going to be impossible to make completely original so sadly I had to design it myself.  So thats what I did and it fits well The boot and window all line up with some minor adjustments .. 
These are just a few things I have done. I have 100s of photos but I feel these are the most relevant.

Before anyone goes and slaughters anything I have done .. do remember that Most of what you see has barely scratched the surface and looks extremely rough. But little bits at a time right ..

would love to hear some thoughts everyone I have spoken to said i was mental for taking on such a damaged car and not alone a damaged lancia but I think its gives it character. And thoroughly enjoying rebuilding her.

Please also let me know if you would like update posts ! ....

https://goo.gl/photos/7DGBmht9GFJRb1AP9
rachaeljf

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:30 PM »

That's an amazing effort, congratulations!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 11:33:21 PM »

Well done on saving a beta, you've done what many of us have in finding there's rather more to do than expected! Impressive amount of work that would certainly scare me
smithymc

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 07:18:31 AM »

Inspiring stuff, well done! Would terrify me.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 08:48:04 AM »

Well Done for getting it done. Please be careful to brace the shell to keep the alignment. You will have a great car with this done.

Eric
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:14:31 AM »

Nice job, hope you keep up the enthusiasm!

One quick question, where did you source the wing from?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: