Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:50:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about a 1980 Beta Spyder  (Read 6280 times)
Beechams`

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 29, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »

Hi guys,

I've seen a 1980 2.0 Beta Spyder for sale and it's caught my eye.
I'm looking to replace my sensible diesel hatchback as I don't do as many miles as when I got it, plus it is developing problems starting despite being only 3.5 years old.
Where can I find Beta buying tips on here?
Plus, would it cope being my main and only car? I only do about 30 miles a day - but would that be too many?

The car I've seen is a 1980 black Spyder and has been stripped back and repainted. I've been told it has no rust on it either. Only issues are said to be a sticky window motor and the possibility of a new clutch in 12 months time. It also has discoloured patches on the plastic rear screen.
It has only got 49k miles on the clock. Sound like a reasonable deal for £6,995?

Any hints, tips, advice, etc is more than welcome.
Cheers
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »

If in good enough condition I can't see regular use being an issue your biggest challenge as with any make of car from this era will be keeping on top of corrosion protection. I don't really know about the price as it is very difficult to assess without physically seeing the car, if it is really rust free it might be worth that sum however be aware that due to the removable top etc. spiders are notorious for corrosion it needs checking very carefully. If you go ahead I would think you should run two cars for a while to let the spider settle in and to iron out any bugs/niggles.     
Beechams`

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »

I can't afford to run two cars at the same time - so it would be a leap of faith if I went ahead with it.
I've also been told that while the example I'm looking at appears to be a good example, that they weren't great cars in their day and I'd be better getting something more reliable...
And yet, I still find myself drawn to it, especially as it is something completely different to the everyday.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »

If looked after, well serviced etc they are very dependable. Bear in mind that anything this old is likely to be a bit glitchy at first whatever the make
simplydelboy

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:39:37 PM »

If you hit the HOME button top left you'll see a buying guide listed.
I wouldn't leave it outside in all weathers so make sure it is garaged. Also a good dehumidifier is worth having if the garage tends to be damp. I use a Ruby Dry DH600, about £250, works a treat, just needs emptying daily. Or a carcoon if you've got space around the car. Also unless it's been done, I'd get it waxoyled.
Best of luck, they're great cars and I've found mine very reliable.

1977 Beta Spyder 2000
1983 Beta HPE 2000ie

Previously. Beta Sedan, Spiders, HPEs, Fulvias, Gammas, Flavias, Thema 832
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »

Hi

I assume it is this car at Draytons?

http://www.draytons.co.uk/cars/lancia/2000/betaspyder/102465/0#

Looks like a nice example, odd car for them to have in as generally they have modern cars, what is the history on the car? Was it an original UK car or SA import?

Shame about the discoloured rear top.

Given the strong price on the car and the likely lack of knowledge of the dealer, I would go along with someone who know Betas or at least has experience of older cars. On the Spyder it would be most unusual to not have any rust in one or more of the usual places ie floor pan, rear turrets, front inner and outer wings and bottom of the A post where the sill is.

As to daily driver, have to echo above, no reason not to, but make sure you protect it each year to avoid the dreaded rust which will affect any car of this age.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »

I've also been told that while the example I'm looking at appears to be a good example, that they weren't great cars in their day and I'd be better getting something more reliable...

You've been told wrong! In fact the more they get used the better they tend to be. Before I took it off the road I put quite a few miles on mine including on my 108 mile round trip commute (the white one in the banner pic at the top) As with previous posters unless this car has been in regular use recently there will be glitches while it settles in. Crud in the fuel lines and fuel starvation would be the classic thing but you might also get electrical and/or ignition problems. Having an overlap or at least some contingency would be sensible. Once it's got a few miles under its belt it will be as reliable as anything from the 80's and fine as a daily driver.

What would concern me is why a clutch in the next 12 months  - where did that come from? Also it's got manual windows so I doubt it's got a sticky window motor. Wiper motor possibly. Is it my imagination of is the bottom half of the steering cowling missing?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »

It has the early style steering wheel for some reason
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:13:58 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »

Hi Stuart

The lower cowling is missing on the column and odd to see an early steering wheel on later interior, maybe personal pref of previous owner, though does not go with the black scheme.

A few bits to improve as ever, but all rather minor so long as the fundamentals are ok.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:45:07 AM »

The sticky motor could as mentioned mean the wiper mechanism and could be due to where the spigots emerge through the scuttle which I found were almost seized on my car and would appear to be weak motor.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Beechams`

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »

The car is the one being sold at Draytons.
I've spoken to the dealer and he admitted its not their usual car, can was bought as part of a two car deal in Ireland along with an old Mercedes. He said he'd had it stripped back and repainted and brought up to a good, but no show, standard. He added he's spent £1,000s on it and would be selling it at cost price

On the clutch, the guy said it may need that replacing in the next 12 months. It is a concern - but is it something that would be a deal breaker?

I'm also slightly concerned about the fact its not the original steering wheel - something I would not have noticed - and that the cowling appears to be missing.

In terms of storage, I do not have access to a garage and it would be kept on a driveway under a cover. I'm assuming this is not advised on great to keep the car in a good condition.

Thanks guys - I'll keep you updated on how it all goes.
simplydelboy

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »

I wouldn't keep any car of this vintage outside, even under the best sort of car cover. I think the car would deteriorate very quickly, especially a spider.

1977 Beta Spyder 2000
1983 Beta HPE 2000ie

Previously. Beta Sedan, Spiders, HPEs, Fulvias, Gammas, Flavias, Thema 832
Beechams`

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:09:49 PM »

Any idea how much a steering column cowling would cost? And how difficult they are to pick up?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »

Fairly sure someone on here will have one, however at the price you should really get the garage to sort that as it is not very functional with all the column and wiring exposed. I suspect there will be other details to sort you really need someone who l knows the cars to have a look at it for you.   
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »

I wouldn't keep any car of this vintage outside, even under the best sort of car cover. I think the car would deteriorate very quickly, especially a spider.

Your best solution may be something like the carcoons which is effectively a fabric garage. Just make sure it is not stored away in a wet condition for any period. Also with winter here, try to keep the salt to a min by rinsing regularly underneath, but make sure it is well sealed there before you embark on the regular driving.

I would echo the above and go along with someone who has direct experience of them before buying to ensure it is what it is being sold as.....  I do not doubt they may have spent some money getting to this stage, but all depends on what was done and do they have pictures to show the work?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »

Any idea how much a steering column cowling would cost? And how difficult they are to pick up?

Could it be that the cowling doesn't fit because of the early steering wheel?
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »

and would be selling it at cost price

Did he say he'd paid strong money for it too? Perhaps that he was cutting his own throat or doing you a favour?

The world moves on but car dealers stay the same!

On the clutch that sounds to me like he knows the clutch needs doing but by highlighting it to you he stops you coming back under warranty.

Keeping outside under cover is possible but I'd be very careful about the cover  - my one generates loads of condensation underneath which can't be good. What I would say is keeping outside is less of an issue for a daily driver as you will be warming the car up twice a day  - if it starts to mist up badly inside you know you have a water ingress problem

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »

and would be selling it at cost price

Did he say he'd paid strong money for it too? Perhaps that he was cutting his own throat or doing you a favour?

The world moves on but car dealers stay the same!

On the clutch that sounds to me like he knows the clutch needs doing but by highlighting it to you he stops you coming back under warranty.

Keeping outside under cover is possible but I'd be very careful about the cover  - my one generates loads of condensation underneath which can't be good. What I would say is keeping outside is less of an issue for a daily driver as you will be warming the car up twice a day  - if it starts to mist up badly inside you know you have a water ingress problem

at the price I think the clutch should be done prior to sale along with all the minor niggles found, it's at the top end of spider prices and wouldn't be an expensive job for them to do.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »

the engine bay looks dirty but generally original and unmolested which is good, however what are the two leads running directly off the battery trailing over the top of the washer bottle/expansion tank??
wheelies

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 11:55:50 AM »

Can you verify the mileage, sometimes when I see the numbers out of line on the speedo head I am suspicious as to whether it has been tampered with.
Has anyone else got knowledge of this?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: