Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voltage drop with rear lighting ???  (Read 2203 times)
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »

Battery is good, healthy 14.4v

Getting final things checked over and fitted for the MOT friday, anyone got any thoughts on why i'd be getting such a drop for the supply to the rear side lights?

With them turned on and engine not running, it's around 10.8v reaching the wiring for the number plate lights, and this seems to give acceptable enough lighting, but thought it would be nearer 12v?...

But once dipped beams are on, it drops again to around 8.8v and the LED units i've fitted are hardly on...

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve this Huh?
Would fitting a separate relay to supply the dipped beams be the way to go, with possibly improved lighting also?

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Graham Stewart

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »

I'm no expert on electrics (as earlier posts will have proved), but could this poor performance and voltage drop under load be down to a marginal earth? As a quick and dirty test, try rigging up a temporary earth to the rear side lights. If they already have their own earth , feel free to disregard this suggestion...   Grin

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 12:26:53 AM »

Hi

Sorry if a bit obvious, but here goes.

Get yourself a good earth to start with for the meter you are using, run a wire from the battery if necessary.

Then work your way out from the battery to the rear in stages and note the values.

It will either be a bad earth or poor connection which is causing the issue.

Remember that there will be some voltage loss across wiring due to its resistance, but not that much!

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:57:13 PM »

a separate relay for the headlights would be my first course of action, if I remember correctly they have no relays as standard so all the current flows through the column switch this does the column switch no good at all and connections get rather fried, this is especially bad if you use up rated bulbs of higher wattage (I managed to melt the internals on a Prisma  column switch years ago when I knew no better!) 
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:14:51 PM »

What Peter said is how I would go for this it is probably the round connector link wires front to rear corroded or terrible earthing.

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: