Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:07:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a new Weber carb .....  (Read 2727 times)
3cojones

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lancia Beta Spider 1981

« on: October 04, 2016, 05:47:53 PM »

Hi,

The Weber carb on my Spyder ('81 f/l) looks like new and has had a service kit fitted at some point but it's apparently leaking at the 1st choke spindle and has a few other issues.  I don't want to write it off altogether but was looking how much it would cost to have it professionally refurbished (I've used Southern Carburettors in the past) but it's costly at around £300.  Has anyone come across somewhere who still supplies new old-stock carburettors or will this message raise a few chuckles and nods of disbelief.  I stumbled across a brand new Weber carb for an X1/9 about 8 years ago (still in it's original box !) having resigned myself to looking for a used refurbished one.

Regards, Chris
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:10 PM »

There's a couple of DMTR  / DATR type carbs on ebay at the moment that look OK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-X1-9-X19-128-Lancia-Beta-Weber-carburettor-upgrade-32-34DMTRA21-100-used-/331988069114?hash=item4d4c07eafa:g:izMAAOSw-kdXyS6d

If the chokes are the right sizes just transfer the jets over and they should work well
3cojones

Lancia Beta Spider 1981

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »

Thanks for that Stuart, I might just go for one of them and build one good one.  The shame is that the one on the car looks like new (ish) but seems to be leaking from a couple of places - the weird thing is that the car will not start if left for more than a few days. It bursts into life with some good ol' Easy Start. I have tested the output from the fuel pump (seem OK), and from the Filter King to the carb (strong), but have found that the carb just does not store petrol in the float chamber.  Always got a strong niff of petrol even though checked all connections for tightness.

Ah, the beauty of running a classic ....
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »

Most cars lose the fuel out of the float chamber in a week or so these days. It's just so volatile that it evaporates easily. As I've said before, modern petrol is blended purely with injection in mind.

Although in your case are you saying that the petrol is leaking into the manifold/engine? As you say it's not cheap, but I'd be surprised if your carb wasn't repairable?
3cojones

Lancia Beta Spider 1981

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »

Most cars lose the fuel out of the float chamber in a week or so these days. It's just so volatile that it evaporates easily. As I've said before, modern petrol is blended purely with injection in mind.

Although in your case are you saying that the petrol is leaking into the manifold/engine? As you say it's not cheap, but I'd be surprised if your carb wasn't repairable?

Thanks for your post Neil.  The funny thing is that the carb, pump, filter king (in fact everything in the engine bay) is impressively clean thanks to Tim Bagg the previous custodian.  I don't know.  I guess I'll sort the carb out first and go from there ....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: