Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:32:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo Beta?  (Read 3117 times)
Harpo

« on: June 02, 2016, 12:59:47 AM »

The guy selling Beta T shirts on ebay says this is his advert ......
 "so there is a Beta running around Glasgow with a fully working Integrale 16v turbo conversion."
Anyone seen it? Im wondering if its true. It would certainly give the old girl a bit more shove!
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »

It's quite possible  - but 200+ bhp in an old FWD car will make it close to useless without an LSD of some sort.

Another option is to use a manifold from a Delta HF Turbo 1.6 which would 'bolt on' (hah...)

To be honest though I've got 150bhp in my Spider and it's plenty in a 1,000kg car. 
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 11:44:09 PM »

tI think it wouldn't be a good option, the reason why a Beta is so good is that it is essentially a car designed by proper Lancia engineers and whilst some compromises were made they knew what they were doing! Later Lancias are gradually more and more compromised and I think the first thing is the fact that later engines were not canted backwards to improve weight distribution, one of the reasons that the Beta handles soooo well. The easily available turbo options  are reversed head so can't be used in that format, so maybe you'd get a fast Beta but I suspect no handling finesse.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

so maybe you'd get a fast Beta but I suspect no handling finesse.

A bit like my 3.0 GTV then Alan! One of the truly great engines but the handling is seriously compromised even with the Q2 diff.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 04:20:35 PM »

Reminds me about an article I recently read about the Brera where Prodrive modified a number for the UK market to improve its relatively poor handing, I think it is called a Brera S from memory.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: