Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:58:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unused old stock parts and axle splined joint.  (Read 2950 times)
betasulo

« on: May 10, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »

Dear all,
Last Saturday afternoon my series one Beta coupe developed a strange lurching on the way back from a drive.
At first I put it down to bad fuel or dirt in the carburetor but upon shifting into neutral on the move and revving  all was fine. With the lurching getting worse finally on an incline with a crunch I lost all drive.
At the repair shop upon systematic disassembly it was found that the splined cylindrical joint which the axle slides into and in turn goes into the gear box had sheared all the splines.
My question is has this happened to any of you out there and is this part available? Furthermore it was decided the clutch, pressure plate and bearing should be replaced. The repair shop was able to locate an unused old stock pressure plate with surface rust.  I just want to know whether there is a shelf life for old unused pressure plates.

Kind regards
Sulo
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

Hi Sulo

From memory there are known good alternatives for the clutch and pressure plate rather than having to use a poor quality old stock. Hopefully someone will come along with an answer before I find it.

On the splines no idea if it is common.

I would think that getting hold of and old usable drive shaft would be no problem, anyone on here have one available?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
millieman

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »

Have the same problem a few years ago, before the AA man had gone i had o/s drive shaft undone 3 bolts out of middle drive shaft mount and replaced.
betasulo

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:34:02 AM »

Thanks Peter,
The repair shop guys have used alternate clutch and pressure plates on other cars before and wanted the OK from me to start work. I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea as it may affect clutch pedal feel. The splines would be the next problem.

Kind regards

Sulo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: