Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:04:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the forum & Lancia's  (Read 9696 times)
hmj

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »

Hi just to introduce myself, I'm Howard and my main hobby was restoring italian scooters mostly Lambretta. I have been hankering for an affordable italian classic for several years as I love the way they do sporty motor cars Smiley. I am Looking forward to asking loads of questions so thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:08:30 PM by hmj » Logged

'79 Lancia Beta Spyder MkII
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »

Hi Howard

Welcome to the forum. Not a huge amount of Spyders out there recently from what I have seen. Suggest if possible you get comments and ideally someone to go along to view with who has experience of the bad news areas such as the inner wings, sills and floors etc.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Hawk

England England

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »

Hi Howard

welcome to the forum - whereabouts in the UK are you based? 

There aren't many Spyders out there - www.howmanyleft.co.uk suggests that there are only 19 licenced in the UK and I'd wager a few of them are on their last legs / have been bodged. 

Problem is with them is that even if you get one with decent (ish) bodywork, it is still likely to need some work and there can be considerable hidden costs.  For example, sourcing interiors is hard (and expensive) and a hood will also prove problematic. 

It took me 4 years to find good front seats and I (with the help of another forum member) imported a hood from the US.   

All told, you are often better buying a good one as it will work out cheaper than buying a rough one.  Oddly, I am looking for a resto HPE and all of the ones I have seen are either too far gone or have been bid to stupid prices by idiots who think that some new oil and a bit of duck tape is the answer to all of their problems! 

I'm also thinking of (as I have been for a couple of years now) about selling my Spyder. 

Good Luck Smiley
hmj

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:19 PM »

Thank you guys I should have waited before posting, but was on my way to view a Spyder, which I went on to buy. Mot'd till feb next, sweet sounding engine if a little bit smokey, free revving though with no knocking or banging noises so hopefully not serious. the whole car needs lotsa tlc and detailing  . A few paint blisters here and there which will need addressing and general tidying up. Fingers crossed  Smiley

* IMG_20160426_115545a.jpg (19.64 KB, 320x187 - viewed 483 times.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:45:50 PM by hmj » Logged

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »

Hi

To insert photos ensure it is not too large a file and use the "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the text insert box and then select the image you want.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
hmj

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »

Hi

To insert photos ensure it is not too large a file and use the "Additional Options..." at the bottom of the text insert box and then select the image you want.

Peter

Done ! Thx Peter  Smiley

Hawk

England England

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »

It looks like it is all there which is always a good starting point for a resto. 

Good luck Smiley
hmj

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »

It looks like it is all there which is always a good starting point for a resto.  

Good luck Smiley

Cheers. Roof in good nick with no tears although plastic window will need a good clean to make better, Interior fabric is in very good condition although drivers side door card has warped, and door lock pull needs attention. It is always going to be a leap of faith with an unknown car 37 yrs old tbf. Although I checked with the dvla and it has passed every mot since 2009 only covering on average 200 mile a year since, with only 2 advisories? So appears to have been looked after?

* 13095883_10207975699046814_1983198614852878892_n.jpg (121.23 KB, 960x563 - viewed 471 times.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:46:04 PM by hmj » Logged

HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:28:23 PM »

The hood straps need adjusting on that - the line of the hood should be pretty much in line with the roof.

What part of the country?
hmj

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »

The hood straps need adjusting on that - the line of the hood should be pretty much in line with the roof.

What part of the country?

Thanks for that, are they easy to adjust? Im near Daventry.

Hawk

England England

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »

FYI S2 Spyders came with vinyl (or in rare occasions leather) seats and not fabric so you probably have seats from a coupe / HPE.  The hood also looks to be aftermarket (certainly it is different to the 3 I've had) and so can't comment on how to adjust.  But if it doesn't leak, it's only asthetic Wink
hmj

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »

FYI S2 Spyders came with vinyl (or in rare occasions leather) seats and not fabric so you probably have seats from a coupe / HPE.  The hood also looks to be aftermarket (certainly it is different to the 3 I've had) and so can't comment on how to adjust.  But if it doesn't leak, it's only asthetic Wink

Thanks Hawk and why its good to hang out on club sites with the wealth of knowledge that's out there  Smiley

HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 10:07:21 PM »

Yep - OE hoods never had poppers in the corners - they're for the tonneau only.

The straps are pretty simple to adjust if they are not broken. They tie the hoop to the bottom of the hood. If they are broken it's easy enough to make and affix a new set with some webbing.
hmj

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

Yep - OE hoods never had poppers in the corners - they're for the tonneau only.

The straps are pretty simple to adjust if they are not broken. They tie the hoop to the bottom of the hood. If they are broken it's easy enough to make and affix a new set with some webbing.

Thx for info

hmj

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:15 PM »

..........................But if it doesn't leak, it's only asthetic Wink

On this note I see they are still available as a remade item in the states for the amercican Spyder, the Beta Zegato? Anyone gone down this road by importing one?, my sister lives in the states?

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 07:25:07 AM »

..........................But if it doesn't leak, it's only asthetic Wink

On this note I see they are still available as a remade item in the states for the amercican Spyder, the Beta Zegato? Anyone gone down this road by importing one?, my sister lives in the states?

If you are talking about the rear hood on the Spyder, I imported 2 off a few years ago, Hawk on here had one and from his comments all went well in the fitting. He had the vinyl one and I had the more expensive canvas style one, yet to be fitted (as with many parts on my car....).

The quality looks good and the price was significantly cheaper than buying here. If I can find the link I will post where I purchased from. If you can get someone to bring it with them from the US it will save shipping and the dreaded VAT on import which will make a big difference.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
hmj

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 12:02:17 PM »

If you are talking about the rear hood on the Spyder, I imported 2 off a few years ago, Hawk on here had one and from his comments all went well in the fitting. He had the vinyl one and I had the more expensive canvas style one, yet to be fitted (as with many parts on my car....).

The quality looks good and the price was significantly cheaper than buying here. If I can find the link I will post where I purchased from. If you can get someone to bring it with them from the US it will save shipping and the dreaded VAT on import which will make a big difference.

Peter

It is indeed the rear hood Peter. Have you got the forum link to Hawk's comments? I have tried several search strings but no info? Also a link to your source would be good. The ebay one is around £184 prior to shipping and customs.

Hawk

England England

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »

Peter

It is indeed the rear hood Peter. Have you got the forum link to Hawk's comments? I have tried several search strings but no info? Also a link to your source would be good. The ebay one is around £184 prior to shipping and customs.

The site was called www.zagattotop.com and the owner was called Ed but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.  Which is a shame because the hood is really well made. 

I tried loads of places in an attempt to get it fitted and pretty much all turned me down (as they were not supplying the hood) or quoted stupid money - a well known outfit in Birmingham quoted me £700 plus VAT !!!!!  Just as I was about to try and fit it myself, I got recommended a guy who repairs softtops for insurance companies and we reached a cash deal Smiley 

He said it was well made and fitted perfectly - and after having watched him do it I reckon I could have done it myself. 
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »

Hi

I managed to avoid the VAT (do not ask) and the shared shipping meant that Hawk paid £222 for his delivered. Mine was somewhat more as not the normal vinyl, I think about another £50-£100, I forget. That was in 2012 according to my messages.

So the price you have is probably the same hood supplier/maker as cannot imagine there are that many around, do you have a link?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
hmj

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 07:40:07 AM »

Hi

I managed to avoid the VAT (do not ask) and the shared shipping meant that Hawk paid £222 for his delivered. Mine was somewhat more as not the normal vinyl, I think about another £50-£100, I forget. That was in 2012 according to my messages.

So the price you have is probably the same hood supplier/maker as cannot imagine there are that many around, do you have a link?

Peter

Here you go Peter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lancia-Beta-Zagato-1979-1980-1981-1982-Convertible-Soft-Top-Black-Everflex-vinyl-/281643184901?fits=Make%3ALancia|Model%3AZagato&hash=item41933df305:g:31UAAMXQpPhTkMnl&vxp=mtr

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: