Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: just bought a 1985 beta coupe 2000ie  (Read 4265 times)
Mat Grant

« on: April 06, 2016, 07:27:04 PM »

hi all,

I'm new to this forum, been wanting to get a beta coupe for ages, finally found one in reasonable condition for a good price. Just bought a 1985 2000ie, I took it for an MOT - it nearly passed(!) The body is surprisingly solid, but it needs a couple of minor things doing, one of which is a foglight tally light. Can anyone provide a quick description of how to get the dash instrument panel out?

Thanks, Mat.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 06:45:32 AM »

Its just held in with the four visible plastic turn screws, speedo cable (undo it at the gearbox end before you pull the instruments out) and the wiring connectors. Getting it out isn't usually a problem. Putting it back is a bit more of a struggle. This thread should help;

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2716.0

It's always worth doing a search of the Forum, we've answered most things over the last couple of years. Are you going to post some photos of your car? That's a pretty late registered ie.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:51:24 AM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
Mat Grant

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:35:14 PM »

Hi Neil,

Thanls for the reply and the info - not sure how long I would have stared at it before trying the screws! Anyway got it out and back in ok.

The oil pressure light comes on and off but the oil pressure gauge only moves a bit - is there a way of testing this? ie how much deflection there should be for a given resistance, or how many ohms on the sender. I'd like to know it is the gauge and not an oil pressure problem

I'm told this beta is one of the last ever registered. It has been restored in the past, and wierdly converted to look like an older beta, with chrome trims and door frames etc. It's also been converted back to carb, I'd have preferred it to still have the fuel injection.

MOT restest on Friday, so hopefully it will be on the road soon. There are a few cosmetic issues, but the paint work is nice I'll try to post some photos.

Cheers, Mat.
gengis

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »

This post may be of help...

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2635.0

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
Mat Grant

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

Thanks Gengis,

Yes that does help, I can put the gauge sender cable to ground via a 350 ohm resistor which will prove if the gauge is responding according to spec, and see what resistance I get from the sender with the engine running.

Cheers, Mat.
Mat Grant

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 08:31:21 AM »

Hi all,

Update on my Beta, it now has passed the MOT, and is on the road.  It runs really well and the heandling is grreat, it is fun to drive. The brakes are not brilliant for feel or power, I will change the fluid and try to find better brake pads - any suggestionsThere is a bit of bodywork to be done which I'll get to this summer, and dents in the rear that need pulling out. I'll try to put up some photos when i figure out how.

The driver side window just stopped working, it went down as I was going into a multi storey car park, but then doesn't go back up - I can hear the motor spinning so something has fallen off or broken on the mechanism.

Cheers, Mat.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:31:40 AM by mat grant » Logged
smithymc

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:17 PM »

Well done on the MOT.

Window regulators are a bit of a weak spot, manual or electric.

EBC pads seem the main choice and available in a variety of grades. think I got my last ones from Larkspeed. I think there is a thread on here about fast road compounds somewhere.

Mark
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »

Standard Beta brakes should be pretty effective and full of feel.

I'd suggest pulling the calipers apart and checking the sliders all slide - it sounds like you've got one or more at least partially seized  A change of fluid wouldn't do it any harm either.

Last time I looked EBC Greenstuff pads were NLA and those that list them on Ebay don't have them  - that might have changed though  - perhaps worth a call to EBC? The front pads are pretty much unique to the Beta
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 08:20:46 AM »

I agree with Stuart that the brakes are good when well serviced. There are Mintex pads on ebay that should do a good job and Motorsport world sourced Tarox pads for me in the past. Wire brush and soak the bleed screws on the callipers with Plus Gas or Rostoff Ice for a week before you try bleeding the brakes and you might get away with none shearing off. Pads, clean and lightly greased slides and top quality DOT4 fluid and they will be transformed. PS remove the hand brake cable and run it through with engine oil until it is smooth then re-fit and adjust.

Enjoy

Eric
PS Check you servo is working as wooden brakes can be caused by this failing.
hmj

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 02:24:36 PM »

Recently bought a Spyder, so newish to Beta's and the forum too. Enjoy the new baby  Smiley

'79 Lancia Beta Spyder MkII
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: