Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking Clarification about Alternator Differences  (Read 2100 times)
dougdee123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 09, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »

I'm still having difficulty (1) identifying and (2) purchasing a suitable alternator for my 1981 2 litre coupe.

The sellers on e-bay all have enter your registration and we'll find the correct one for you but the effect so far has been to either draw a blank or to supply the wrong one.

I am coming to wonder if there are more variations than are commonly known.

The old alternator on mine was (is) a Magnetti Marelli. I can't find any identifying numbers on it but, from the Haynes Manual it may be AA 125. It incorporates a recess at the top for a single bolt that connects with the tensioner arm. The bolt head recess is 17mm. The pully is steel.

The lower two mounts have 19mm holes and have a four part bush set that fits in them. The bushes inside diameter is 8mm and correspond to the bolt that runs through a steel insert that is fitted (screwed?) into the alloy oil filter housing.

I ordered a Delco Remy DR0980 that was allegedly the correct model for the engine. In the event they contacted me to say that they couldn't find that one but would I like an alternative that would also fit. When it arrived it was a Magnetti Marelli model not known (by me). This alternator that I have just returned to an extremely helpful e-bay seller (Parts in Motion) was broadly the same size and shape but the rear most lower mounting had a 22mm hole with a steel spacer with a 12mm inside diameter. Similarly the lower front mount had a 12mm hole.

All the electrical connections were identical.

At this point I was starting to consider pressing more than twice as much money into Mark Wastnidge's hand for a 70A type. Except that I see from the photo that it appears also to have the steel spacer described above. Does it have the 12mm mount?

Several questions present themselves.

What do other peoples alternators have?

Do you, in fact, need the bushes? Why are they there if you don't

Could or should I procure whatever I can get probably with the 12mm mount and drill out the steel sleeve in the filter housing and introduce a rigid mount. Has anyone done this before? Surely someone has.

Can I find someone to recondition MY alternator on the premise that it will indeed fit?

If you know the answer to any of these questions please let me benefit from your superior knowledge.

Regards,

Doug

thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »

From what I remember mk2 astra
used the same alternator.
My local chap charged twice as
much to rebuild if I told him it
was from a Lancia.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: