Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 9mm? 8mm? or both?  (Read 4273 times)
abgwin

United States United States

« on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:10 PM »

Recently had some work done on one of my other cars to fix an exhaust leak and mentioned my Beta was very noisy in the exhaust. To my surprise, the shop owner not only knew what a Beta was but was eager to take a look for me.

They quickly replaced the gasket between header and downpipe but then found 2 missing studs on the manifold itself. I ordered the 9mm studs from Midwest Bayless but the shop said they wouldn't fit.

Here's the weird part: they claim that only an 8mm would thread into the inner head but the outer thread was 9mm. Their head technician is a really odd guy who's hard to understand, so I'm not entirely clear on all his comments, but something about a stepped stud was the old school fix. He fabbed up something from 8mm studs and all sounds great now, but of course I'm left with very expensive worthless-to-me 9mm studs and a very puzzled look on my face.

Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?

I've looked through the reams of service receipts on my car that date back to the early 90s and while there's two incidents of exhaust work, no mention of anything other than 9mm studs, though there was a valve job done at one point. Is there any other head, Fiat perhaps, that fits the 2.0 but has different fittings that might have been installed in place of the original?
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »

Studs used on a number of cars have two different threads,  coarse into the block and fine for the nuts.
abgwin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »

Yes, the studs Midwest Bayless supplied are those - fine and coarse - but 9mm. And don't thread. Weird, eh?
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:08:41 PM »

The only reason I can think to have 9mm studs is if the originals have stripped the threads in the head as the pitch for M8 and M9 is the same, making the repair easier. Beta manifolds do sometimes pull the studs from the head if the downpipe isn't secured correctly.

The only cars I know with M9 (and M7) threads as standard are older French models.
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:40:53 AM »

Originally the studs have M8 threads.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
abgwin

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 03:17:41 PM »

As far as I know, and along with documentation of work done previously, US spec fuel injected 2.0 exhausts used 9mm.

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-7210-82378949.aspx

It's possible that a mechanic back in the 90s didn't actually do a valve job but put on a different head and used stepped studs, 8 AND 9mm. That would explain the situation, if earlier heads actually used 8mm, as the difficult to understand guy at the muffler shop mentioned "stepped studs" but didn't elaborate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: