Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how many betas will die?  (Read 3396 times)
rossocorsa
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »

bit worryingly it really looks like the dear hm government is going to instigate a scrappage scheme for cars over 9 years old using our hard earned tax payments to fund it. I'm really worried with the current low prices that tatty Betas that currently usually turn up on eBay will be going to the crusher instead what a shame
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »

(At the risk of being political) I wouldn't worry too much, Gordon Clown and his gang of incompetents wont be in long enough to get this in place - and even if they did the whole scheme would fail and cost us millions, but at least some cars would survive.

Personally, I have no issue with the heaps/lost causes being sacrificed to keep the good cars on the road.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »

Personally, I have no issue with the heaps/lost causes being sacrificed to keep the good cars on the road.
these schemes normally mean crushing/recycling with no breaking up for parts allowed the whole concept is to destroy older cars for no really valid reason (environment allegedly but how many people with 10 year old cars rack up big miles?) I seem to remember reading that in Italy a few years ago lots of restorable classic Lancias were crushed without any parts being salvaged because of one of these schemes
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »

I think you'll find this scheme is -

exchange old car for new car at a main dealership and get £2000 trade-in discount.

won't really affect any of us unless you really want a new fiesta.............

Geoff
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »

Stupid idea.

Replace your old car with a shiny new one that has less emmissions.

A sop to the motor industry dressed up as an environmental measure.

My daily is a 9 year old 1.7 Ford Puma - it manages 38-40mpg on long journeys and has co2 figures of 178g/km. (unless of course I rag the nuts off it in which case the emissions figures are pretty meaningless....much as they are for any car)

How many miles do you think I'd need to drive a new car to offset the emissions used during manfacture ?
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »

I think you'll find this scheme is -

exchange old car for new car at a main dealership and get £2000 trade-in discount.

won't really affect any of us unless you really want a new fiesta.............

Geoff
what it may well do is cause a shortfall in second hand parts if the cars are not allowed to be stripped unfortunately that will affect us
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

What the various Govts (UK and Italian plus most likely others) is that people like ourselves will ALWAYS find a way round these schemes that are designed to take old cars off the road.  They simply do not have the resources to go round and check/forcibly take cars and crush them.  Their only option would be Taxation (something Labour are masters at) / Fining someone for owning a car that is not taxed/insured/mot'ed. But I'd question the legality of that as a vehicle can be SORN, so thats enough.

I wonder how many MP's & members of the House of Lords own old Bentleys, Rolls', Jags, Astons, Bristols & MGs etc etc?  They will have a mechanism that allows them to keep their old vehicles and hence there is the inherant loophole that we can exploit.

So, likelyhood is their plan is flawed from the very start, although it looks and sounds good to the eco crowd. 

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
thecolonel
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

There is an MPs classic car club and the FBHVC  have discussion with them and
take representation to Europe on our behalf.

www.fbhvc.co.uk

Definitely worth joining as a club or an individual, even if only  to keep up to date
with changes to the law regarding classic vehicles.
Anything from the exemption of the following: use/manufacture of tyres containing
banned chemicals, classic coating (paints), low emission zones, daylight running lamps etc.
to providing a lists of trade bodies and commercial organisation that help to secure our
future.

Geoff
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: