Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A handling, or lack there of, question  (Read 3367 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 04, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »

While out driving my '78 spider this evening, I was alone on a 270 degree arecd entrance ramp to a local motorway.
Feeling inspired I started to push a little, then a lot and I found what I recon is a bizzare handling characteristic.
At first the car tucked in flawlessly but as I increased speed it went into understeer. A slight correction led to oversteer and when i corrected it, again I found the car understeering.
This process repeated as long as I was in the arc which is about a quarter mile long and speeding up or slowing down saw little change to the behaviour once it had begun.
Tyres are new (less than 3k miles) Firestone S660 185/60/14 and wheel alignment is spot on at least at the front.
One of the pressed steel transverse links at the rear is a little kinked which obviously affects the rear alignment somewhat but I doubt sufficiently to induce the handling as described.
Obviously something is wrong but has anyone encountered this on their Beta and what is the most likely suspect aside from the nut that holds the steering wheel?
Oh, and the exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket has blown again after less than 200 miles but at least I know what I have to do for that Cheesy

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »

well not sure but Betas were never set up as 'safe' handling in the manner of 99% of FWD cars and does have a tendency towards a twitchy arse at the limit. Not sure it is what you describe though, correct alignment is critical on a Beta and often set wrong so get that sorted first, front wheel alignment on its own is irrelevant you must have full 4 wheel alignment done, but bear in mind that you need a patient mechanic to do a proper job.     
droptop

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »

Sound advice.
I have an excellent mechanic who is an enthusiast so no worries there.
Twitchy wouldn't really describe it. I've had "nervous" cars in the past but this is more unpredictable than that.
New, or at least straight rear arms will be a starting point and not misbehaving in the meantime should help keep me between the hedges.

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:33:02 AM »

That rear link is really not going to help as Alan says Betas have very balanced handling when set up properly but if you've got toe out at the rear it will feel pretty dangerous!
droptop

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »

That rear link is really not going to help as Alan says Betas have very balanced handling when set up properly but if you've got toe out at the rear it will feel pretty dangerous!

It does! Cheesy

I really have to stop putting things on the long finger and sort what I know needs doing.
The list is growing and I'm bouncing around between three other projects plus searching for a suitable replacement for my poor van so the end result is nothing is getting finished.
I have the parts here so really no excuses but I'm too unfocused.
Next major run is in three weeks so finger and tools out!

Rust never sleeps
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

With bushes in good condition throughout and no bent parts (either front or rear wishbones) a Beta will have fantastic handling once it has been setup in 4 wheel tracking. Adding 1.5 degrees of negative camber on the front gives more turn in bite with slightly heavier steering at parking speeds. The rear can be setup with 2 adjustable links on each side for more adjustability or toe and camber. The anti roll bar can be slid in its clamps to sort out setback/ thrust angle issues.

On my tuned VX Beta Spyder project (220BHP) I am having custom front wishbones made to remove torque steer and I have Gazmatic Gold Coilover suspension ready to fit to remove the squatting under power characteristic. Back in the day I just shortened the rear strut rods by an inch to increase pre-load on the springs and had hard nylon cups made to pack the front wishbones tighty to the subframe in my 180BHP GC engines Beta Spyder.

What you describe is a twitch and sway that would become a spin so replace the bent bits and make sure ALL the bushes are in perfect condition for really enjoying the car. 

Enjoy

Eric 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: