Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:01:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine for my series 1 1600 coupe  (Read 6209 times)
betasulo

« on: May 22, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »

Dear all,
After a great run on the hill climb decided to replace shock absorbers all around and at the same time found huge play on the crank pully Sad . A back yard idiot mechanic had put the crank thrust bearing the wrong way and it has chewed into the crank.  I am told by the repair shop that I need a new crank and also at the very least a complete bottom end rebuild. As parts for the engine are non existent over hear in Sri Lanka I was wondering if any of you gents would have a 1600 in decent shape you may consider parting with for a nominal fee?

Also am I correct in understanding that Mr Guy Croft only builds and sells race engines?

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Sulo
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »

Dear all,
After a great run on the hill climb decided to replace shock absorbers all around and at the same time found huge play on the crank pully Sad . A back yard idiot mechanic had put the crank thrust bearing the wrong way and it has chewed into the crank.  I am told by the repair shop that I need a new crank and also at the very least a complete bottom end rebuild. As parts for the engine are non existent over hear in Sri Lanka I was wondering if any of you gents would have a 1600 in decent shape you may consider parting with for a nominal fee?

Hi Sulo, sorry to hear about the problem. The first thing you need to do is check which engine you have. The Series 1 1600 is different to the S2 1600 and I suspect the crank is similarly different. Given that many more S2 1600 were produced, you may have a problem finding one. First thing you need to do is establish the engine you have. The number is where the top of the oils filter is. If you need more details of how to find it, just ask.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
betasulo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »

Thanks Peter,
I will check with the repair shop and find out the number.

Kind regards.

Sulo
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:29:05 PM »

Guy builds engines to whatever spec you ask but the standards he applies are the highest no matter what spec.

If you ask him to build a road engine he will do so but it will be good enough to last 100k, it won't just be a quick $200 rebuild.

It's for the owner to decide it it's worth the cost - but you've already enjoyed what happens if you let an amateur loose on an engine.
betasulo

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:18:14 AM »

Honestly I've a good mind to track down the guy who sold me the car and let him know what I am going through. he claimed the engine was rebuilt😡. Well any way as Peter sujested I got the engine No off the block,
828B3000,0078230
It's so sad this happened as the car went so well.

Regards.
Sulo
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:47:03 AM »

Hi

That 828B, if I remember correctly, is a Series 2 1600 which although not original for your car if a true Series 1 ( check your VIN to confirm that), then you have a better chance of sourcing spares.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
betasulo

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »

Thanks Peter,
I will track down the VIN. Apart from the plate in the engine bay (which is missing) and the registration papers is the number stamped any where else on the car?..
Kind regards
Sulo
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »

should be stamped on the panel that runs across the engine bay behind the engine (the one with the rubber seal) if I recall correctly on the right hand side as looked at from the driving seat   
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »

I would look at the numbers cast into the cylinder head, then you can tell what the engine actual is.  Engines are swapped all the time, so I'd go by the engine not the VIN.

I have a list of cylinder head numbers somewhere so you can determine the exact engine version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
betasulo

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »

I am quite sure I did not see any numbers on the panel as the painters seem to have done a pretty good job of covering it. The registration papers aren't much help as they have got only 0065122. So I will now check the head as Matt sujested. Will report what I find Smiley
Thanks gents for all your help.
Regards
Sulo
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:38:13 PM »

Although you may not be able see it from above, you may be able to reach underneath the panel and 'feel' the numbers, then maybe use a mirror or some technique to read them?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 10:43:01 PM »

I think I'd clean the paint off then retouch that area once the number was visible it's only a small rectangle under the bonnet
betasulo

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »

Haven't had the chance to go see the car yet.Hopefully tomorrow all will be good.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: