Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:25:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back after long absence! (with a question)  (Read 5474 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: February 26, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »

Hi folks.
After a long absence, I'm back with more questions.
Specifically, I'm wondering about two things.
What are the differences between Montecarlo and FWD Beta heads and are they interchangable?
Also, with regard to inlet manifolds, do they have the same 20 degree off-vertical design?
I realise the distribitur on my car wouldn't clear a straight manifold but that's more of an acedemic matter at the moment.
I'm still collecting stuff for my Betas without actually getting any of it fitted and as usual space is at a premium so our caravan is now a store!
I have a huge stock of coupe glass which I have no use for but can't bring myself to dispose of and a lot of stainless/chrome trim bits as well which due to their length are uneconomical to ship but again I can't bear to see them being binned.
Oh, and a third thing has just occured to me.
Did Facelift spiders ever come with a light gray carpet with no rubber heel pads?
My car has this "feature" and it fits too well and with proper contours to be some individual's attempt to replace a worn item.
I want to change to a black one if anyone has a perfect or near perfect one for sale.
As always, my thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »

Hi Frank

Welcome back!

Sorry, no idea on any of the questions... hopefully someone will be along with the answer.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »

Please don't bin the glass. I think a time will come when it become a premium item.
droptop

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »

Please don't bin the glass. I think a time will come when it become a premium item.

Fera not-I won't bin it. In fact I'm in the process of adding to it when I most likely break the HiFi coupe

The REAL upside is I can't be expected to go "touring" with the caravan full of Beta stuff;D

Rust never sleeps
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »

Frank

Late Beta 2000 and 1600 heads are largely the same as Monte heads and have the same 20 degree tilt. The cams are not the same neither is the inlet side cam box as it has a Distributor in it.

Eric 
droptop

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »

Frank

Late Beta 2000 and 1600 heads are largely the same as Monte heads and have the same 20 degree tilt. The cams are not the same neither is the inlet side cam box as it has a Distributor in it.

Eric 

So would a GC-tuned VX head that was modified for a Monte work on a Beta if the back cam box were changed or would it be best start from scratch with a Beta head?
Or would it be a plan to contact GC with the job number and let him advise?

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:43 AM »

So would a GC-tuned VX head that was modified for a Monte work on a Beta

So long as it hasn't got bigger valves fitted and you can get the CR in the right area then yes - it'll work well. Depending on the application is may need some minor tweaks moving a mounting stud that sort of thing.
Hawk

England England

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »

Did Facelift spiders ever come with a light gray carpet with no rubber heel pads?

My 1979 does as well - as you say, the fit is too good for it not to be standard 
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »

How well this goes will depend on the compression ratio and the cams fitted to the head. 44 36 valve sizes are unlikely to be a problem. If it has GC cams they will have the number on the end under the cam box end plate and they will be timed to marks inside the cam box that need adjustable cam wheels to install well . A higher compression ratio is often needed to get the best from high lift longer duration cams. You need to take care if you have higher compression pistons and high lift cams and check clearance by a dry build check as detailed in GCs books. A real GC head will have the number stamped on it and Guy is likely to have a record of the build.
Make sure you know how you will fit a distributor if you are thinking of an exhaust cam driven item the cam must have a drive for it and the cam box a mount for it. Beta Block mount is fine as long as the inlet manifold misses it.

Eric
droptop

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »

How well this goes will depend on the compression ratio and the cams fitted to the head. 44 36 valve sizes are unlikely to be a problem. If it has GC cams they will have the number on the end under the cam box end plate and they will be timed to marks inside the cam box that need adjustable cam wheels to install well . A higher compression ratio is often needed to get the best from high lift longer duration cams. You need to take care if you have higher compression pistons and high lift cams and check clearance by a dry build check as detailed in GCs books. A real GC head will have the number stamped on it and Guy is likely to have a record of the build.
Make sure you know how you will fit a distributor if you are thinking of an exhaust cam driven item the cam must have a drive for it and the cam box a mount for it. Beta Block mount is fine as long as the inlet manifold misses it.

Eric

A friend owns the head which he got built for his Monte a number of years ago but never fitted.
It comes with a set of 40 IDF carbs and manifold but I imagine I'll need a Beta manifold.
I just wanted an overall feel for the idea before I brace the subject of seeing if he wants to sell
Thanks for the invaluable info as usual, everyone

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: