Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:18:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Source of retaining clips for steering rack gaiter?  (Read 10496 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: October 04, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »

Hi All

Replaced gaiter with new one and wanted to replace retaining clips with stainless ideally, but really struggling to find any 7mm wide clamps to fit either stainless or plated, anyone know where to look? All I have found are 9mm wide or larger which will not fit the profile.

Thanks

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »

Could you get away with using stainless steel cable ties?
Plenty on eBay
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:15:21 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »

Oetiker do a range of 5mm wide in 304 SS  but you might struggle to get them in small numbers.  Page 4.11 here http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/pdfs/HCL_Clamping_Product_Catalogue.pdf

Failing that Jubilee do a make your own kit with 7mm wide banding (Slimline Multiband)
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »

Do not you think that plastic ones are better, as they will not cut the quite delicate rubber? I use plastic cable ties and they work really fine. I have power steering.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, my thoughts on it so far (FWIW)....

Lukas

I know plastic are used for CV boots and happy to use them there, but the steering rack suffers from close proximity to the exhaust and witness the need to replace the gaiter due to the heat from it over time, I have little faith the plastic ones will survive for that long in that environment.

Stuart

I will look into sourcing some of the smaller width ones, from what I can see the Jubilee kits are very suitable, but the kit cost is high (£70+) so not value for money when I only want 4 clips...

Peter

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:27:35 PM by peteracs » Logged

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »

Looks like you can buy the Oertiker ones individually from HCL and their min order price is only £7.50 which is great, see

http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/Mini-Worm-Drive-Clip-P74

Thanks for the lead, 5mm is a little small, but much better than the 7mm ones. The originals look to be around 6-6.5mm from a rough measurement, certainly the 7mm strips I tried were a bit tight.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »

I know plastic are used for CV boots and happy to use them there, but the steering rack suffers from close proximity to the exhaust and witness the need to replace the gaiter due to the heat from it over time, I have little faith the plastic ones will survive for that long in that environment.

You are right Peter, also gaiters suffer from the environment. That was the reason I wrapped the exhaust manifold with insulation strap. It really helped so I actually forgot about the baking problem Wink

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:36:59 AM »

You are right Peter, also gaiters suffer from the environment. That was the reason I wrapped the exhaust manifold with insulation strap. It really helped so I actually forgot about the baking problem Wink

That is on my list of jobs to do during the rebuild, from memory the shield on the exhaust was missing on mine as well, so compounding the issue with the steering rack gaiter.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »

Looks like you can buy the Oertiker ones individually from HCL and their min order price is only £7.50 which is great, see

http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/Mini-Worm-Drive-Clip-P74

Thanks for the lead, 5mm is a little small, but much better than the 7mm ones. The originals look to be around 6-6.5mm from a rough measurement, certainly the 7mm strips I tried were a bit tight.

Peter

The clips arrived yesterday and they are pretty good fit, so would recommend them, price wise not expensive either. I also bought some standard stainless ones from them to make up to the min order value as want to replace all the water pipe clips as I go.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: