Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: '78 HPE - Weber but not one of those in the manuals  (Read 11121 times)
Per

Norway Norway

« on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:41 AM »

My car has a carb of the twin choke register type, i.e. second choke only comes into play at nearly full throttle. The odd thing is that it has a bypass screw and a mixture screw for both chokes, between the chokes i.e. at the top of the carb. Why does the second one have a bypass, and how do I adjust this type of carb? The carb does not correspond to any of the illustrations in the factory manuals I have access to.

FYI the bypass for the secondary is closed, and in general the car runs a bit rich so I intend to check the mixture screw O-ring tonight.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »

what is model number of the carb I can have a look and see what info I have
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »

I did not see any numbers in the castings (but did not really search). Where should I expect to find a number?
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »

On the edge of the flange where it meets the manifold
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »

34 DATR 2/250
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »

That's the standard auto choke carb for the 2.0 engines. I think it's shown in the Haynes manual
Ammy

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »

Do you not think you're looking at the two slow running jets ?                                                                                                                       
The odd thing is that it has a bypass screw and a mixture screw for both chokes, between the chokes i.e. at the top of the carb. Why does the second one have a bypass, and how do I adjust this type of carb?
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »

I think it is one slow running (idle) jet and one mixture screw for each barrel. The strange thing is that there is one for the second stage barrel that only comes into play near full throttle.

I cannot detect any difference opening or closing the secondary barrel bypass.

There is a slight hestitation when giving a bit of throttle but the accellerator pump does squirt fuel.

Some sites showing a similar carb talks about an O-ring on the mixture screws but there are none on mine. The mixture screw has to be fully in or false air makes the engine stop at idle. The mixture screw is a long tube with tiny holes along the side. The mixture screw sits alongside the bypass screw for each barrel (choke).

I haven't got the Haynes. Only various original manuals and none showing these adjusting screws.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »

Per, PM me your e-mail  - I'll try to send the section of the Haynes manual that shows the carb. I'm pretty sure you're looking at the idle jets and emulsion tubes and yes there is one per choke.
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

Stuart, pm sent and thanks.

I will pull both emulsion tubes tomorrow. These are fixed mixture devices it seems. I will compare the primary and secondary tubes. One thought strikes me: Are there versions of this carb where the butterflies move synchronously instead of one acting as a secondary as in this application? That would explain it and the screw in the secondary should simply be closed.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »

Not as far as I know.
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »

I tried opening thr pdf on two different machines but no luck. I wonder if the file got corrupted in transit.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »

I'll try again
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »

I'll try to post some official tech info tomorrow just had a look and think I have some info but need to check and photo relevant bits
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 08:14:59 AM »

Thanks the second lot and also jpg came out fine. It does give the procedure for setting slow running but does not indicate how the secondary comes into it. I will experiment a bit today and post here.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 09:42:35 AM »

As you've kind of said further up the post the secondary barrel butterfly opens as the throttle approaches full power. This is done by a mechanical link which is not adjustable. For carb adjustments/problems I found this link really good;

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=649.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:44:49 AM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »

The idle jet on the secondary doesn't operate at idle!

It's there to help progression when the secondary butterfly just starts to open providing a small amount of petrol as it opens before there's enough flow for the main jet to operate.

Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:13 AM »

The slow running jet on the secondary throat has no effect on anything that I can detect.

The two emulsion tubes are different. Both has the code F30 near the top and the primary has V120 near the bottom while the secondary has 150 (no letters). It is a mystery to me as the secondary opens very abruptly and so cannot really experience any slow running conditions except as a very short transition frpm closed to pretty much fully open. But maybe when under heavy load it will have an effect?

It is a mystery to me  Huh?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »

had computer issues after an update blank screen on Allas laptop dont you just love microsoft! anyway no time to photo the info will try to do it tonight though (assuming the system refresh worked first time it got stuck at 82%)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:46:22 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

The numbers on the jets and emulsion tubes relate to their size. More about this in the thread that I linked above I think.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: