Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:59:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Front loom  (Read 2815 times)
skattrd

England England

« on: August 25, 2014, 04:54:05 PM »

Hi all,
I've got quite a few crusty wires and connections in the engine bay and was thinking about replacing the front loom. Is there an easy option for doing this, a replacement loom or compatible one available somewhere or should I just replace the wires one at a time? I'm not really up on car electrics, but willing to have a go at most things.

Chris
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »

Unless you find a donor car that's exactly the same and has a good loom your best off replacing wires one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »

Hi Chris

When you say crusty wires, do you mean the outer insulation is brittle and breaking off or just where the connector is there is a load of build up corrosion?

If the latter, then the wires are probably ok and you can just replace the connector. I used crimp terminals which were uninsulated, tinned the wire, crimped it, then soldered it and finally put an insulated jacket over it. All a bit of a pain, but makes for a lasting job.

If the wires have brittle insulation, then they will need replacing one at a time. The only issue is colour coding, so I would try to find an old loom to take the wires off to try to keep the same colour combination.

PM me if you need any further info on the crimps I used or the technique.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
skattrd

England England

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »

Hi Peter,
the wires are and casings feel brittle, quite a few have been painted over at some stage as well, I think replacing them is the sensible option. I also thought that new wires should have less resistance and with any luck may improve the headlights and prevent future electrical maladies caused by dodgy wiring/connections.
I'm going to go up to the garage later this week and will check what colour wiring I need or I may just order a mixed bag of thin wall to get started, something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251239196538, some heatshrink may also be worth ordering ....

Chris

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: