Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HPE front discs  (Read 4464 times)
Per

Norway Norway

« on: July 02, 2014, 01:13:15 PM »

All, last item do be fixed before MOT time on m '78 is to replace the front discs. Byt the WSM and the look of the new discs they should pull straight off once the caliper is moved away and the teo bolts sitting between the wheel bolt holes are removed. Seems like it is held on with rust, so a big pulle and some heat + rust remover ought to do the trick? Nothing else holding it on?
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »

They tend to grip on the rust on the wheel flange,  try giving them a  "thump" with a heavy mallet,   rotating a number of times whilst doing it.
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »

It is quite often situation. I can recommend two methods - using of a large bearing puller or a high grade bolt and nut that you place into the hole dedicated for mounting the yoke, alternately top and bottom then rotate the disc a bit. In such a way you will easily press out the disc from the hub. It worked in my case unlike the hammer hitting. You will also find some tutorials on youtube.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »

I used a big puller and a bit of heat around the area where it grips the flange of the hub. Came off without a hitch. I just wanted to be sure I did not try to pull off the nut on the spindle while having been sent the wrong type of disc ......

BTW I am wary of using too heavy a hammer, you could damage the CV joints that way.
Ammy

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

I offered a practical solution,  we don't all have access to sophisticated garage equipment. Take it from me,  use common sense and it works. If you don't apply common sense,    whatever you use will cause problems ! ! !
Per

Norway Norway

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

BTW, the reason for the scored disc was that the PO had fitted one pad the wrong way, i.e. with the backing plate toward the disc  Shocked

Ammy, proper use of a suitable hammer is OK. My point was that the inexperienced might be tempted to use a bloody great big hammer at full whack. That is a sure way of damaging the CV joints. But when they fail less than a thousand miles later the poor sod does not connect the two events.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »

BTW, the reason for the scored disc was that the PO had fitted one pad the wrong way, i.e. with the backing plate toward the disc  Shocked

You are joking.....!

The joy of sorting an old car out.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: