Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:58:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan necks (so called ) on spiders/spyders  (Read 9046 times)
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

After some discussion earlier on another thread I thought that whilst I had my brochure collection out I would have a look at all the spider brochures I have to see what exhausts were fitted, conclusion at least on left hand drive is that lancia never fitted such a style all the pictures I found series 1 onwards show other styles of exhaust similar to coupe kinking to the left.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »

Page 58/58/60/61 of Brian Long's book shows S1 and S2 Spiders fitted with swans neck pipes. The S1 photo looks like it might be an original publicity shot but the S2 could be more recent.

In the gold portfolio book the Motor April 1977 test and What Car Sept 1980 both have spiders with swan necks.

The question would be why RHD only?

Incidentally I suspect the reason for going to the straight and to the side version was because some aerodynamic quirk of the swan neck design tends to fill the car with fumes!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »

Possibly because we drive on the left they didn't do pipes exiting towards pedestrians? I need to study my stuff really carefully but superficially they all seem to have kinky to the left pipes.

The black and white is first series orangey red is second and red is second facelift. Excuse wonky pictures didn't get the brochures flat enough!

I've had similar discussion with Steve Thompson about vx coupe exhausts, Steve is adamant that they all had straight rear pipes like a 2000ie and that his car always had this format but all publicity photos including RHD and the quattroroute road test show pipes kinked to the left. I reckon despite him buying his car nearly new the rear box must have been swapped. Interesting point this though why straight pipe with injection but curved pipe with carb? Lancia seemed quite bizarre in their thinking at times.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:20:39 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »

You can say that again - I've just found out there are two designs of chrome mirror bases for the flat back chrome mirrors!

I wonder if the laws of the time forced them to have more than one supplier of each part?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »

Looking further at UK cars it seems that UK coupes (at least pre face lift) also had swan necks as did the pre production lhd coupe......

As regards multiple suppliers that is the same with many parts on betas and the parts are often slightly different too so for instance coupe light lenses are not interchangeable between manufacturers and with coupe headlights the whole fitting and adjustment system is different on siem or carello. I suspect they probably used two sources to maintain supply as strikes were common in the 70s but you'd have thought they would have insisted on compatibility.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

Took some finding but here's a rear end shot of the spider pininfarina prototype with swan neck!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: