Lancia Beta Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:17:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyder for sale on piston heads interesting history  (Read 5826 times)
Oldbones

« on: July 06, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »

Have you seen the white beta spyder for sale on piston heads do you think it's good value?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

i don't know the car, the body kit looks an acquired taste and would make me a little suspicious about the condition of the sills underneath. interior dash and doors (should be frameless) all incorrect for year. For me the whole appeal of an early spider is the early dash, frameless doors, early seat design etc. If it really is rust free (and given it is series one shell and crappy zagato build quality one has to wonder) it looks a nice car if you like that sort of thing but I think the price is a bit strong given the mods and especially that bodykit, with luck you could buy a nice series  2 pre or post facelift for similar money or less       
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »

Hi All

On the face of it the write up looks to be pretty honest. There is not much of the original car left in reality, so yes would have to question what state it was in before the transplant of all the 79 donor car, photos would be useful before the refurb. The only items that I can see which are S1 are the rear lights and the chassis does not have the strengthening bars above the doors, all the trim etc is from the 79 f/l car.

The bodykit may.may not be to your taste, not mine I have to say, but there again I like the original look. As to price, it does have the dual 40 with inlet manifold which is worth real money, but given the mix and match I would expect it would sell around £3k5 which is the price for decent private sale cars.

Anyone going to view, I would suggest a good check of the inner wings and front/rear turrets and sills. I would also question the status of the engine if it has had the power output increased.

I do not live so far away from it if anyone is serious in wanting an opinion.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
andybeta

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

Link?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:58 PM »

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lancia/beta/lancia-beta-spyder-2-0ltr-modified/2440655
flex

England England

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:02 PM »

It's interesting, I can't help but think that it isn't helped by the standard wheels look pretty lost under the body kit. It's a bit weird, very white, but probably a nice-ish usable car under it all.

So many cars, so little time.
angelom

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:02 AM »

Miami Vice move over we have a new contender for the title of Don Johnson!

Like the small lancia emblem on the rear over panel above the vents.

There must be some chassis modifications to handle the flex given that there are no roof supports in place and all that extra power.

SeriesIII bumper/grill/lights is nice if he hadn't painted the stainless white as well.

All in all a very nice restoration, whom ever did it in the 1st place must be very handy.
lbcoupe76

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 02:54:17 AM »

I like it, can't explain why i just do. However i would loose the Martini decals and try to find some frameless doors for it. Some spacers for the wheels and they would look beta too.

1976 Beta coupe 1800 "Kermette"
1975 Beta coupe 1800 x 2
1974 Beta Berlina 1800
1989 Thema i.e turbo
1988 Thema i.e turbo
Fiat 1500

Smoke me a Kipper i'll be back for breakfast
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »

Like the small lancia emblem on the rear over panel above the vents.

There must be some chassis modifications to handle the flex given that there are no roof supports in place and all that extra power.

SeriesIII bumper/grill/lights is nice if he hadn't painted the stainless white as well.

All in all a very nice restoration, whom ever did it in the 1st place must be very handy.

Quite agree with you, looks tidy and well thought out, given the later doors with the frame, I would add in the roof bars just to make sure it does not sag, though I guess the S1 had special attention to the inner sill arrangement.

I actually like the painting of the bumper which does go with the kit, I think the stainless would detract, makes it a much more modern feel to the car, which I guess was the intention.

I also think I would change the steering wheel and the gear lever from the standard.

As to wheels, undecided if they need more modern larger ones with low profile rubber, but definitely look a bit a bit lost at present with the body kit.

Anyone know what car the rear bumper came from as much longer sides than the standard one?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
angelom

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

Hi Peter

I think they are seriesIII bumpers front and rear. Actually the rear bar is from a coupe, rather than a HPE as the HPE bar would wrap up to the  wheel arch.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:38:38 AM »

Hi

Altogether gives it a Masarati Biturbo look at the rear to me.

* Masa.jpg (9.2 KB, 299x168 - viewed 327 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »

Apparently there's still a little bit of something in me that had died years ago as this car really appeals to me!
I only discovered my pre-facelift spider was originally white and now I've started to think I'd like it white again!
Two red spiders in the one garage might only fight.
Some small bits of white were always visible in obscure areas but i presumed as the car was so well painted everywhere that it was always red as the old log book system here doesn't record colour changes so the paperwork simply said "Red"
Bigger (wider) wheels would be the only change I'd make and if I could afford it, I'd have it on the ferry tomorrow.
the big question is where can I buy a similar body kit?Huh?
I want one, I do.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

That question had crossed my mind as well, anyone know as I have never seen one like it before?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »

That question had crossed my mind as well, anyone know as I have never seen one like it before?

Peter

Presently, my thoughts (fantasies) are to buy said kit, remove good wings from my pre f/l car and swap for shoddy items on my f/l project then rebuild the wings using afore-mentioned kit and attach, along with all the other bits and bobs to the pre f/l one along with a generous coat of white paint.

By the way, is it possible to get alloy wheels banded in a similar manner to the steel ones that were popular and probably illegal in the 70's?

i really like the Lancia Beta alloys and can't imagine anything looking as good or correct under one.

I have tried a few diferent styles on mine, but as most modern wheels don't seem to be dished, none look "right" in my eyes.
My last failed attempt was with a very nice set of Team Dynamics multi spoke items that just looked terrible when fitted and now reside under my Mk1 Golf cabby where they look absolutely perfect.

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »

I always say that beta wheels should be like apple pies always deep dish
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: