Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:12:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting from Twin Carbs to injection maybe.  (Read 4158 times)
dougdee123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 21, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »

I'm looking for a little discussion and explanation here.

I have a somewhat tuned 2.0 L coupe that is currently equipped with a pair of 45 DCOE carbs with air filter socks and an electric fuel pump. It all goes quite nicely but if the ventilator is open there is a fuel smell inside the cabin.

I was wondering how hard it would be to convert to fuel injection instead. There is someone (from here?) advertising a small heap of beta Bosch fuel injection spares and I wondered whether there are many other pitfalls to doing that. I am not imagining that you can just bolt it all on and expect it to work as but would you be able to adjust things to perform as well or better than the carb setup. Can you, for example, re-map the ECU? Or would it only work with a standard engine?

Here are the parts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancia-Beta-Injection-spares-/121345617756?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

As an alternative, I know it is possible to have a 'from scratch' injection system but it would be really helpful to know what the components are and how deep the pockets need to be for that.

Thanks for any help.

Doug
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »

I would imagine remapping the ECU was not a concept thought of in the late 70s, doubt there is a CPU to be seen, and as for re programmable logic......

If you want to have a mappable ECU setup, you would be looking at getting a new one and having it wired in. Should be possible and not that expensive. As to the injection system, no idea personally.

Personally I would investigate the fumes, which surely should not happening, a waste of fuel at the very least.

Having read the odd article I would suggest that the twin 45s with standard cams, should give similar power to an injection system, so little real world benefit as far as I can see.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:02:26 PM by peteracs » Logged

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:25 PM »

There's little or no advantage in terms of power with injection until you get to serious outputs. Whrere the injection scores is in driveabiity and flexibility when you make other modifications.

Cost for fuel injection from scratch is a £2500 if you use all new parts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: