Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:49:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm not alone!  (Read 20071 times)
holmesgr001

« on: June 03, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

My first car was a 1981 beta coupe 1600. I'm sad to say that I drove it hard every day I had it but it took the punishment. A sales rep job made me sell it and buy something new. That was 20 years ago. The very sight of a Beta brings a smile to my face. So for years I  have lived with this affection for this beautiful car and since I discovered this forum I realize that I am not alone in my love for this car. Life took over and I got married and had two children so owning a Beta was low on the priority list. But now with the big 40 looming I have started planing my midlife crisis starting with buying a Beta. My head is saying buy a Fulvia, it's older and more classic, but my heart says Beta. I live in Johannesburg and have found a few on the market. So now I am torn between a coupe and a spider. Again my heart says coupe. Hopefully next time I post on this forum I will be the proud owner of a Beta. Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »

Welcome Greg, good luck deciding Beta/Fulvia and if it's a Beta then Coupe or Spider.

Decisions decisions!!!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:53 PM »

The fulvia coupe is a very different car, much smaller inside and a bit less powerful but fun and engineered to a much higher standard than a beta. Maybe not such an issue in your country but I think the fulvia is far more structurally rust prone than a beta the subframe being a particular pain. Personally I'd go for a beta coupe over a spider but others may disagree and probably a beta over a fulvia as a fun car however I would probably have a (Flavia) 2000hf over either, sometimes wonder why I sold mine a few years back but there you go with limited space and no time to restore can't keep everything!
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »

A 2000HF is next on my shopping list. Beautiful cars.

Greg I expect you already know Lancia  Cape Town but if you don't give Felix a call  - whatever you end up with I suspect you'll need his help at some point!
holmesgr001

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:35 AM »

Yeah think it needs to be a Coupe. The hunt starts.

holmesgr001

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »

So today I found two Beta coupes, I was shocked to see how much had been stripped off them. My first reaction was "no way" but on closer inspection both the cars have solid body's, no rust anywhere. The owner assures me he has all the missing parts and more. I am gonna take another look.

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »

If the one that is of interest has no rust (really?) and all the parts and not silly money, then worth pursuing if you do not mind the work. The real cost other than your time is in body refurb and prep for painting, then the painting. The rest can be pretty low cost if not a bit frustrating.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
holmesgr001

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 04:59:51 AM »

Hi Peter. You saying what I'm thinking, the cars gonna get stripped down anyway. Johannesburg is 1500 meters above sea level and 600 km from the nearest ocean, it has a hot and dry climate so our cars don't rust.

holmesgr001

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »

I finally found a beta. It's a few hours drive from where I live and have bought it without seeing it, but from the pictures it looks good.
I am hoping to pic it up later in the week.
What I know. Engine is out and missing the head. Car hasn't run for 3 years.

smithymc

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »

Looks intriguing . I'm not the expert on here but it looks like a facelift bonnet with earlier interior but the gear lever is not what I would expect with no wooden knob. I like the seats.

Others will add more but good luck and keep the pics and questions coming.

Mark
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 01:17:59 PM »

Nice one.

If it is fairly rust free as per earlier posts for your area, then should make a nice project. Not sure if the seats are original material (not seen any with that material before), but good to see another pre facelift S2 on its way back.

BTW the bonnet is correct for 2 litre pre f/l to clear the higher 2l lump.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
holmesgr001

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »

Peter, how can you tell the difference between a S1 and S2

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »

Peter, how can you tell the difference between a S1 and S2

Hi

I am not the best one to tell you, others will know all the 'differences', but the S1 in the UK was only 1600 (s1 never had just 1800 on mainland EU and the S1 1600 had a different engine to the S2 with slightly different capacity) with the slim raised bit on the bonnet and twin headlights, not single piece headlights. Also the small trim piece at the back of the rear side window was 'chrome' effect not black.

Over to others to flush out the subtler differences!

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »

264 2 litre Coupes were assembled in South Africa from knock down kits between 1975 and 1978. They would all be Series 2 (pre-facelift). Could be that yours is one of those? It will say on the plate on the right hand inner wing. I think they were assembled by Diahatsu at their SA plant? That would explain some of the subtle differences already noted above.
holmesgr001

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 07:23:42 PM »

That's interesting info, i will check for the plate when I pick up the car

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »

They weren't built by daihatsu (mistake in my article) but I've lost the info of who did build them, a photo of the chassis plates would be nice as I think it has the info
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »

S1's had different bushes on rear ARB. Design is quite different to the S2 bushes.

I'll ping Andy C and see if he'll allow us to put his guide up as a sticky.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »

Looking at the door cards I suspect the car originally had tan coloured vinyl seats, in a hot country I don't think I could blame anyone for retrimming in cloth
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 06:15:39 PM »

They weren't built by daihatsu (mistake in my article) but I've lost the info of who did build them, a photo of the chassis plates would be nice as I think it has the info

Brian Long's book only mentions that Seat assembled the Spanish KDK's, using their own version of the twin cam engine. La Lancia does not mention the KDK's. Did Daihatsu assemble Fulvias in South Africa? I've definitely seen them mentioned somewhere. As you say, if this is a SA Beta the chassis plate should confirm this one way or another.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 10:14:51 PM »

I have seen a picture of a SA beta chassis plate but I failed to save it, afaik definitely shows the assembling company. You are right that SA fulvias go have daihatsu chassis plates. The cars made in Thailand are even more mysterious though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:41:29 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: