Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member from Indiana  (Read 4233 times)
Tpatcher

United States United States

« on: May 31, 2014, 03:11:41 AM »

Hello,

My name is Robert and I purchased a US Lancia Beta Zagato (Spider) 2000 last October. Drove it sparingly until this Spring as I was busy fixing several of it's problems. I now can drive it everyday with no worries and I continue to improve it. I now want to drive it more than my X1/9. Had it shipped to me from San Francisco and when it arrived the red and clear drivers rear tail light lenses were gone  Sad. Anyone have some spares they'd be willing to sell? Also the Betaboyz parts page won't come up. Says it was disabled in 2012. I know I've viewed it since then.

GerardJPC

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »

Welcome!   The car looks good. 

I have a pair of tail lights from a 1981 UK spec Spider, but I am not sure from your photo that they match the US spec.     EDIT:  I have just checked and they do appear to match.   I can check the cost of shipping them from the UK to the US if you are interested.  They are unused and still in their Fiat cardboard boxes.

The Betaboyz website has been down for over a week now.

Have you tried Midwest Bayless for parts?   V helpful guy, in my experience.

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=208227
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:30:31 AM by GerardJPC » Logged

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1962 Lancia Appia Series 3 Berlina
1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1800
1973 Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
1981 Lotus Eclat Series 2
1981 Yamaha YB 100
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1983 Land Rover Series 3 88
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 Crosswagon Q4
2009 Jaguar XK Coupe 5.0
GerardJPC

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »

UK spec for comparison - lights appear the same.

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1981 Yamaha YB 100
2009 Jaguar XK Coupe 5.0
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »

I think the reflector sections in the tail / brake lights in EU spec ones is smaller but realistically if you've got a matched pair no one is going to notice plus many EU cars I see have this larger already so it might have become universal at some stage.

Welcome BTW  - nice looking car but those federal fenders do it no favours!
GerardJPC

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 09:48:21 AM »

I note that the petrol filler is located in the HPE position with an external cap rather than a flap.  I recall that Lancia made that change in late Coupes, but IIRC the European Spider was phased out before that happened.

One thing that I have never quite understood is why the later injected and supercharged Coupes and HPEs were withdrawn so quickly, not just from the UK market where the rust legend had already set in, but across Europe.  I know that the Beta range was by then over ten years old and had never had more than tweaks in terms of body designs, and the Berlina looked dated when the ugly Trevi was introduced, but to my eyes the Coupes and HPEs still looked good alongside early 80s designs.   It may have been production costs and plant capacity as the Delta was taking up most of the money by then.

Apologies to any Trevi owners out there.  Tastes vary, but to me it is one of the ugliest cars that Lancia ever made.  Oops, sorry, thread hijack!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:04:39 PM by GerardJPC » Logged

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1981 Yamaha YB 100
2009 Jaguar XK Coupe 5.0
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »

I think the reflector sections in the tail / brake lights in EU spec ones is smaller but realistically if you've got a matched pair no one is going to notice plus many EU cars I see have this larger already so it might have become universal at some stage.

Welcome BTW  - nice looking car but those federal fenders do it no favours!

Hi Stuart

My understanding is that the larger insert was standard from around 78, the smaller was on the S1 and early S2 pre f/l. If anyone has a smaller inset light in good condition uk drivers side, I am looking for one. I have some larger lens ones both sides, so happy to swap if that helps.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Tpatcher

United States United States

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

Thank you and Yes. I've been there several times as they are only 1 1/2 hours from my home. Matt, Thomas, and the rest of the guys are an asset to our resource pool.

Welcome!   The car looks good. 

I have a pair of tail lights from a 1981 UK spec Spider, but I am not sure from your photo that they match the US spec.     EDIT:  I have just checked and they do appear to match.   I can check the cost of shipping them from the UK to the US if you are interested.  They are unused and still in their Fiat cardboard boxes.

The Betaboyz website has been down for over a week now.

Have you tried Midwest Bayless for parts?   V helpful guy, in my experience.

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/default.aspx?sfid=208227
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »

One thing that I have never quite understood is why the later injected and supercharged Coupes and HPEs were withdrawn so quickly, not just from the UK market where the rust legend had already set in, but across Europe.  I know that the Beta range was by then over ten years old and had never had more than tweaks in terms of body designs, and the Berlina looked dated when the ugly Trevi was introduced, but to my eyes the Coupes and HPEs still looked good alongside early 80s designs.   It may have been production costs and plant capacity as the Delta was taking up most of the money by then.

By the early 80's coupes were considered old hat. Everyone wanted hot hatches instead, and the Delta HF Turbo and GTie fulfilled that market.

Also, when Lancia withdrew the Saloon and Trevi it wouldn't have made commercial sense to continue  making the common parts for the Coupes (suspension, subframes etc.), and in any case the production capacity would have been needed for the more up to date Deltas, Themas and then Dedras.

When the coupe market was re-booted in the 90's Fiat and Alfa snaffled the sporty designs; Coupe and GTV respectively, while Lancia got the Kappa Coupe, after Fiat bottled mass producing the Hyena. The rest, as they say, is history.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:36:48 PM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »

I note that the petrol filler is located in the HPE position with an external cap rather than a flap.  I recall that Lancia made that change in late Coupes, but IIRC the European Spider was phased out before that happened

No the higher exposed filler was fitted to European spiders starting in about 1980, a friend has one built in may 1980 although not sold until about a year later. Bad stock rotation and cars stood around unsold for ages will have resulted in cars registered after this one having the older style petrol flap though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: