Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:59:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vx engine  (Read 5272 times)
insayner

« on: February 11, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »

hi has anyone but twin 40s on a vx engine.i no the vx engine has a low compression then a carburettor engine i think the vx is 7.5 compression stoke and carb engine is 8.5 to 9.0 compression stoke.thanks steve.
hutch6610

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29:27 PM »

It will work but you wont get the full potential from the engine.
Having said that, with the 40's it may feel a little better power wise than a single carb Beta.

You've seen the VX lump on Fleabay haven't you?
HFHAWK

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

I would guess the answer is twin carbs plus 1600 pistons.
hutch6610

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

Oh and you would want to change those camshafts to normally aspirated ones.
You need a certain amount of overlap on the valve timing.

rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »

I don't think twin carbs on a vx is a good idea you can put a single dcnf on the original manifold (looks pretty much original but has manual choke)or dcoe on a new set up direct onto the blower but that is a little tight on space and needs a different radiator on a coupé or hpe

here is one that I bought and scrapped a few years ago I sold all the bits in the end and went down the dcnf route instead probably not as much power but neater and uses all original fittings

http://lancisti.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=677
hutch6610

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 03:44:48 PM »

rossocorsa you misunderstood the situation.

insayner needed an engine for his Spider and spotted a VX lump minus induction system (blower, manifold etc) and was wondering if he could use it as "is" with lower compression.

That's why i mentioned twin 40's on a manifold - not ideal with the low compression but better than the original Weber DAT 250 although the cams would need to be changed over as well.

Anyway onto something a little different - i was impressed with your manifold - machined from a slab of alloy.
What was the power increase over standard and also whats the purpose of the alloy wedge above the oil filter?

Radiator is from a VW? also would you be interested in sharing the choke/jet sizes - if you can remember, seeing as you no longer have the unit?
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

all done by previous owner who happened to work at the time for rolls royce aero division (hence the rather nice machining!)  the rad was VW Passat (I think) from memory i believe the thing near the oil filter was just a heat shield or air duct of some sort it's all very tight for space with this set up. It had a beta ie inlet cam fitted It went like the proverbial shite off a shovel when on cam with a ridiculous amount of torque but low end it was a flat as a fart! it use a dcnf40 i don't know the jets however i suspect it needed much smaller chokes  to increase low rev air speed through the carb this is the way i'm going with the dcnf i have on my car now unfortunately I've never had it running yet with the dcnf on because the resto has been plodding along too much
hutch6610

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »

Thanks for that anyway.
Your photos are most interesting.

Cheers.
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:16 AM »

no problem the biggest problem with this set up (aside from the fact the previous owner hadn't got the jetting quite right) is the proximity of the carb to the front slam panel this one used a foam filter but really wasn't ideal really squashed in it could probably do with a specially fabricated airbox feeding cool air from elsewhere in the engine bay. I had bought the car with the intention of transferring this set up to my coupé but in the end I decided it was just too much of a jumble for me and i didn't need too much power hence sold the bits on eBay and got a 40dcnf instead which uses the less than ideal standard manifold
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:23:49 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
hutch6610

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »

Got any photos of your DCNF project VX?
rossocorsa
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 07:38:13 PM »

nowt too recent I'll have to take some new ones
rossocorsa
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »

if you look on www.lancisti.net I have some photos in my album but they are old as the hills I'll put some up to date ones on when I have time look for photo gallery/ members albums/ rossocorsa

here is a proper link

http://lancisti.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=674

the pictures are not in any logical or chronological order though
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:35:34 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: