Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:31:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guy Croft race engine build  (Read 38655 times)
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »

Thanks Guys, it is a bit nerve racking building a new engine only running it in for half an hour then running it flat out at 8000rpm round a race track....

The next engine build is a Guy Croft VX which should have 220BHP.....
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

Ian

I am delighted for you!! The car is sounding great and it looks like it is handling and braking well too. As the former owner of a 185 BHP GC engined Beta Spyder I know how great these cars can be.
Let me know when you want to know more about the VX build as I have the Volumetrico Montecarlo running and it first ran as a VX Montecarlo on Fuel Injection. I still need to complete the build of the VX FI Beta Spyder. I have all of the engine and gearbox parts including an inboard manifold with a flow deflector following flow bench development of the original horribly unbalanced manifold.

Cheers

Eric 
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments Eric, I am hoping for a couple more BHP when I take it back to the dyno.

The suspension is still work in progress as I really need stiffer springs and some castor and a bit more negative camber on the front end to make the semi slicks really bite. Currently the geometry is no where near optimised for a race track anyway.

Very interested in the VX in board manifold mods. I have 2 VX's to build and considering fuel injecting the 2nd one.

I upset an Alfa GTV driver who has a supercharged fuel injected 2 litre twin spark (with Toyota SC14 blower) who couldn't shake me down the straights!!

He follows me out of pits in this clip:

http://youtu.be/_uz_b1ZwbWI
andybeta

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »

Turn the volume up for this one, flat out 4th gear at Lakeside raceway...

http://youtu.be/YHD5nUp5gAM

A few laps of the same short 2.4km circuit. Had a few issues changing gear due to the gear oil used with the LSD, which meant he synchro wouldn't work once hot, hence the missed gears a few times....rectified now waiting for next track outing...

http://youtu.be/BPOxb3nsFaA

2nd link is well worth viewing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:01:07 AM by andybeta » Logged
Deltona

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »

An old post I know, but still great to read! Can I ask what fuel (Mon/Ron) you used? Just wondering why 11:1 and think it maybe down to that perhaps?
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 11:57:36 PM »

I haven’t been in here for a while, but to answer the last question, 11:1 CR was chosen as you can still run 98Ron unleaded fuel without detonation problems.

The cams are very aggressive with big overlap so a high static CR is needed.

The car can run in ambient temps up to 40deg C over in Australia, but I have never had an issue with pump fuel. I use Shell V power or BP Ultimate.

I have also taken great lengths to ensure the carbs are fed with cool air straight from the front of the car.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: