Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:53:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think of this at the price?  (Read 3726 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: May 03, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »

I will be neding a new convertible top for No.2 spider sooner or later and I found this:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251074037375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
I have no idea what to expect to pay for one and I'd like to know your opinions re. price and what I should expect to pay and where to buy within the UK.
Also, how do I remove the one on my car as I need to do some cutting and welding in the surrounding area?
Thanks

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »

no experience re price  but don't forget you will get stung with import duty, handling fees and vat on top if you buy from the states
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »

One of the problems with hoods is the fit can be very variable. I'd be wary of buying from the US unless you can get some good feedback from another buyer.

The hood is held on by two hinge bolts on either side and a row of bolts into captive nuts along the bottom edge. If you remove the two rear side trim panels and the cover over the rear deck you'll see them all.

I'll see if I can dig out the receipt for my Mohiar hood - I don't think it was that much more and the fit is A1.

EDIT: Sadly I can only find the receipt for the guy that fitted the hood (who bought it on my behalf) I can tell you it was £365+VAT.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:48:05 PM by HFStuart » Logged
droptop

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:58:15 AM »

Thanks guys.
I'd forgotten the whole duty and VAT fiasco and I'm possibly better getting one made locally under the circumstances.
At least I can try before I pay and insist on any modifications needed.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »

Hi

I bought two from what I suspect is the same source as this, same picture. One was for me, one for Hawk on the forum. From memory he had his fitted professionally, so maybe he can comment on it. He had the original vinyl style, I bought the more expensive canvas style, mine is still not fitted.....

Yes, Vat is an issue, I was able to reclaim as bought through a business, and buying two halved the shipping so made sense. I had found a lot of UK suppliers and EU to be expensive at the time, more than £500 fitted hence why I went to the US.

If you want my contact details for the supplier, please PM me.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Hawk

England England

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:08 AM »

As Peter said, we bought from the US (with Peter kindly arranging the import etc.) - must have been 2, possibly 3, years ago. 

I looked for a long time at sourcing one in the UK and was staggered by the pricing - most people wanted over £400 for the hood and then a similar amount for fitting!!!!! 

Having been told that fitting can be a nightmare I decided not to tackle myself and had hoped to get Aldridge trimmers to fit (IIRC they quoted £270) but they couldn't do before the summer and my trip to Europe.  In the end, I was put in touch with a mobile fitter who works for insurance companies reparing hoods etc and agreed a cash job with him.

Took him about 2 hours but he said it was pretty straight forward and that the hood was good quality / well made.  I'd recommend both him and the hood. 
droptop

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »

As Peter said, we bought from the US (with Peter kindly arranging the import etc.) - must have been 2, possibly 3, years ago. 

I looked for a long time at sourcing one in the UK and was staggered by the pricing - most people wanted over £400 for the hood and then a similar amount for fitting!!!!! 

Having been told that fitting can be a nightmare I decided not to tackle myself and had hoped to get Aldridge trimmers to fit (IIRC they quoted £270) but they couldn't do before the summer and my trip to Europe.  In the end, I was put in touch with a mobile fitter who works for insurance companies reparing hoods etc and agreed a cash job with him.

Took him about 2 hours but he said it was pretty straight forward and that the hood was good quality / well made.  I'd recommend both him and the hood. 

Might be a little pricy bringing him to Ireland!
I'm actually amazed how expensive a small hood can be.
I'm now in a state of terror regarding my Golf as while the (considerably larger) hood is in great condition, the fitted headlining and insulating horsehair (I kid you not!) mat are in tatters.
It'll probably be cheaper to buy a scrapper with a good hood for that job.
I'm quite a way off needing the Beta hood but I like to have all necessary parts in my grasp before I start the job so I'm not sat twiddling my thumbs waiting for stuff to arrive to complete it.

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »

I've done that with parts now I have lots of parts and no hope of finishing the car!
droptop

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »

I've done that with parts now I have lots of parts and no hope of finishing the car!

I may end up in that state myself but if I do, I'll enjoy the task of selling everything again!

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »

Can't face eBay these days so I suppose I will have to finish it eventually!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: