Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:29:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The rolling VED exemption  (Read 7916 times)
Hawk

England England

« on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »

Has been brought back in following the budget  Grin

Still 40 years rather than the old 25 but better than nothing.  Mine will be exempt in 4 years - yay! 
cheeky monkey

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

Smiley Something to look forward to. 5 years for me.   Hopefully none of the clowns will remove it again in the future!

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
smithymc

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

Interesting news- suppose I will have to wait 4 years too, although the official paper says that is just when the loss of revenue cuts in, so lets hope no-one changes it. The tax is the biggest rip-off of all - you may as well have a Jensen as a Lancia that is 40cc over the threshold!
Hawk

England England

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »

Agree that the VED (it's not road tax Wink ) is wholly inequitable - especially if you own a number of vehicles.

In addition to the £230 (?) I pay to do a couple of thousand miles in the Lancia, I pay out for 3 motorbikes which do less than 5,000 miles a year between them (1 of which is a 2 stroke and kicks out all manner of crap but is still only £37 a year!) and £500 for the 4WD - despite it being run all of the time on LPG.  And then I pay nothing for the zero rated Golf I do 40,000 miles a year in! 
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »

You really don't know just how good you have it fellas.
Try taxing a car here in this little paradise where I live.
In 2008, in an effort to appease the green party who formed the minority part of a gangster coalation government, the tax bands were altered to give a strong bias towards the sale of so-called "greener" cars with lower (claimed) emission such as diesels by having the tax based on the emissions instead of engine size as per pre-2008 regd. cars.
The upshot is that you can tax a 3 litre diesel for about €220 but a Mitsubishi Evo will cost you €2200!
My 13 year old lexus IS 200 is engine size based so I pay €710 P.A., my 21 year old BMW 325 costs me €1290 and my daughter's 14 year old 1.6 Beetle costs about €520 P.A.
The Betas are on a system that allows cars to be taxed as "vintage" once they reach 30, so each one and my Golf costs €56 per year!
You have it better than you think although surprisingly, petrol is about 20% cheaper here and pre-1980 cars are exempt from our version of the MOT which is a mixed blessing.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »

Sounds completely frightening, think that there would a full riot in the UK with VED like that. I know for higher emission cars you pay £500+, but in general most folk pay less.

Good news on the rolling exemption, mine is 76 car, so by the time I get on the road, may not need to pay the tax.....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:02:06 AM »

And in France we have no road tax at all, it's included in the price of fuel, which is cheaper than the UK.

Much fairer way of doing it.  :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »

Sounds completely frightening, think that there would a full riot in the UK with VED like that. I know for higher emission cars you pay £500+, but in general most folk pay less.

Good news on the rolling exemption, mine is 76 car, so by the time I get on the road, may not need to pay the tax.....

Peter
We have a system of restrained civil disobedience here where everyone sits on the bar stools drinking overpriced alcahol and says "Someone should do something about blah...blah...blah...." and at the next election, we line up to vote and tick the box marked "Thank you Sir. May I have another one?" then back to the bar stools to whinge!
We show them who's in charge Cheesy

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 11:56:42 AM »

And in France we have no road tax at all, it's included in the price of fuel, which is cheaper than the UK.

Ahem....AND TOLLS
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »

Ahem....AND TOLLS

But only if you use the main motorways, and around cities normally they are free.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
thecolonel
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »

Additional note:  monthly VED will be introduced
Great if you only run your classic for the summer.

Also in the new rules you won't be able to sell a
vehicle with tax on it, you claim it back and the
new owner has to tax and insure it.

Geoff
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »

Ahem....AND TOLLS

Yes, we have tolls here but only on the Paége, but they are fast and traffic free plus good quality surface.  It brings back some driving pleasure :-)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »

Great idea enabling VED to be purchased monthly, that will help a lot of people.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »

Additional note:  monthly VED will be introduced
Great if you only run your classic for the summer.

Also in the new rules you won't be able to sell a
vehicle with tax on it, you claim it back and the
new owner has to tax and insure it.

Geoff
The no pass on rule of course means that they get paid twice for one month! Secondly it seems to me that it could be part of a movement by stealth to make private sales more difficult.
smithymc

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

I think the monthly option means you can now pay monthly, rather than tax by the month- unless someone can find any other info?

Mark
squiglyzigly

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but has anyone had any experience with the new 40 year old tax exemption. (cars not people)
If I understand it correctly then the car becomes tax exempt 40 years from manufacture. Which my car will be next April.

But:
I will have to prove it was built in July 78 even though it was registered in August 79.

Does anyone know how I prove that? Rossocorsa was good enough to give me the manufacture date but who do I get an accepted document from to prove such?

Otherwise I will have to pay £255 for another years tax. Ooooooofffff

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »

The exemption date only seems to move annually, i.e. at the moment it is 01/01/1978 or before, which will change to 01/01/1979 in the new year, with some flexibility up to 31/01/1979, so your car will be exempt from January, not April I think.

As to proving the manufacture date, I think there are two options, get the dating certificate that FCA Historic Division will now supply, or join LMC, if you are not already a member, and get a letter from the Dating Secretary. Otherwise you will have to wait 'til January 2020 like me.....
squiglyzigly

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »

I have sent a request to fca historic and await their response.

Although the car has to be 40 years old from date of manufacture, I think it says you cannot apply for the exemption until April 1st.
Not sure why that is. Something to do with new car registrations taking place?

Fingers crossed FCA historic have something for me.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
smithymc

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »

The process itself is simple once you have all the docs. Just take it all to the post office and they sort it all out. The 1st April following the January trigger date is correct. Took about 10 days in my case.

Mark
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »

I have sent a request to fca historic and await their response.

Although the car has to be 40 years old from date of manufacture, I think it says you cannot apply for the exemption until April 1st.
Not sure why that is. Something to do with new car registrations taking place?

Fingers crossed FCA historic have something for me.

I'll be interested to see what info that brings up......and what fee they charge, it seems that even Fiat have realised heritage is a good earner! What production info I have is strictly on an unofficial basis although i believe the LMC have the same lists. I just tried hard to get a copy for Betaboyz, I was asked at the time not to distribute them and have kept to that. I only have approximate build dates based upon chassis number nothing else and nothing pre-78. I have info on a few other Lancia/Fiat of the same era      
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:07:44 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: